Page 58 of 139 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108 ... LastLast

Thread: Teh Formula 1 Encyclopedia: 2018 Edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Formula 1 requires winners, not kids who need time. It’s not a special school.
    Word.

Whose favourite stat was it that there's never been a year where the same set of drivers started every race? It's holding true so far this year, one third of the way through.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Formula 1 requires winners, not kids who need time. It’s not a special school.
    Per Wikipedia, 992 drivers have taken part in an F1 GP, 140 have won, which results in about a 14% winner rate. So....maybe not so much.

Put in other terms - yes, we need winners, but we also need the rest of the field unless we want seasons full of the 2005 USGP.

I think historically, F-1 racers will just be killed off naturally after a mistake or when something break. Post Senna, things have gotten amazingly safe..., I think Bianchi accident was just a freak and stupid accident...

Anyway, so given that mortality rate has dropped off dramatically, I suppose team owners need to pick up the slack and fire more drivers...

However, you guys have to agree luck could play a role, right? If you don't want to give any particular youngsters a full season of chance to try and learn, then don't sign a full year contract... or make it specific that if you crashed after 3 or how ever many times that's clearly your fault then you're out or something.

That way it's clear.

Rather than allowing rumors flying around... such rumors can only weaken driver's state of mind and probably the entire team's morale.

It probably also sucks very much to receive a phone call from your boss saying that you're fired before a race weekend...

Junior Potato
    It would suck, but hey, an F1 driver is an F1 driver and goes into it knowing full well what the environment is like. If they want job security, they can go get a normal job.

I’m ok with the status quo.

Well I'm not ok with it, but so what?

I just don't think status quo is very effective at unlocking full potentials... on the flip side, when your rookie drive wins his 1st race, how many more stupid subsequent crashes should a team tolerate?

The dumbest move ever must've been a demotion to a jr team. If you've lost confidence in your employee, just fire him already...

Gilles Villeneuve has destroyed more cars than anyone in F1.
    He is still regarded as one of the fans' favourites, ever.
    Enough said.

Brendon Hartley is 28 which the same as Ricciardo and 6 older than Gasly (8 more than Max)

Quote Originally Posted by balki View Post
    Brendon Hartley is 28 which the same as Ricciardo and 6 older than Gasly (8 more than Max)
    He has two Le Mans victories to his belt, though.
    But not much else.

Even with a team that let him crash all he wants, Hartley doesn't have many years left that's for sure.