Page 30 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast

Thread: Teh Formula 1 Encyclopedia: 2018 Edition.

Administrator
    Before it sounds like I'm advocating for either of the things I mentioned, I'm definitely not. I'd prefer it to be like it is and accept that passing is Very Fucking Hard(tm). I just don't think any of these other schemes, like changing the front wing or changing DRS will actually lead to increased passing unless it gets ridiculous, at which point the sport becomes as much of a joke as it'd be if they did randomized grid spots or filled it with nearly undriveable cars.

Even Hamilton's idea of getting rid of a lot of the runoff areas/going back to gravel, so overdoing it is a way bigger penalty than it is now, is pretty much a non-starter. Safety's always going to beat that out, and having tons of runoff room is the safest way to do it.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Safety's always going to beat that out, and having tons of runoff room is the safest way to do it.
    Even Tilke has admitted that the excess amount of paved runoff is not mainly for safety. In places like Abu Dhabi, track owners get a lot of their income from track days and if their overconfident and underskilled clients put their Audi R8s into the wall they complain a lot about the repair bills. So the solution, when the tracks promise to make them feel like Hamiltons is to have all that pavement so they can regain control and not dent their egos.
    acket.

...and Hamilton will not start from the front row in Sakhir. He gets 5-place grid drop for a gearbox change.
    acket.

Pity, that.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    Even Tilke has admitted that the excess amount of paved runoff is not mainly for safety. In places like Abu Dhabi, track owners get a lot of their income from track days and if their overconfident and underskilled clients put their Audi R8s into the wall they complain a lot about the repair bills. So the solution, when the tracks promise to make them feel like Hamiltons is to have all that pavement so they can regain control and not dent their egos.
    I did not know that...that's sad.

Yeah same here. But it makes complete sense.

But that's not a total excuse for his terrible tracks.

And I always have said if you just put a car width of grass between the track and runoff, and make curbs now wider than half the width of a car, it would solve a lot of it.

As for the cars, what about an inverse DRS. Basically whenever a car is within 1 sec of the car in front (constantly, via the timing all around the track), you can have increased downforce.

That actually kinda make sense. More downforce just to stabilize the car as you follow closely, and nobody would keep it at maximum downforce all the time because it'll also slow you down if you're not drafting off of someone in front...

But implementation probably won't be easy because you'll need to have some sort of linkage to the nose cone... and if you need to swap out a damaged nose, pit crew will also have to remember to connect this front wing control...

Here's the quote from Tilke:

“I know people say that if there is only gravel, it is more of a penalty if you go off, which is true.
    “But if you have a private track day and somebody goes off in their Porsche or AMG, then they are likely to be paying for new parts. €7000 is an expensive spin.”

In other words, F1 tracks aren’t just used for F1 races. It’s all commercial. If you’re into trackdays you might have cause to be grateful for the disappearance of gravel.
    I think we all know that when He says "AMG", He really means Audi.
    acket.

Not only are both Hondas in front of both McLarens, but Gasly is BotR.
    acket.

Hamilton starts on softs which should be an advantage for attempting to cut time on the pitstops against his championships rivals, but I don't know how much he'll be able to push from ninth on the grid given that Valtteri had to back off in Australia to avoid overheating his engine in traffic. I expect Magnussen and Hulk to hold him off at the start.

Max Verstappen starting 15 behind the McLarens should provide for an entertaining L1.
    acket.