Page 107 of 139 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1385

Thread: Teh Formula 1 Encyclopedia: 2018 Edition.

I was hoping Vettel could at least slow him down for awhile. Hell, Ham couldn’t get around Max...not that he really needed to since they knew RB had to pit eventually. But he tried and couldn’t stick it. I just expected Vettel to make it extremely difficult but alas ‘twas not to be.

I think the Ferrari started the season on top, but I think the Merc has come on stronger in development. Also, it seems Mercedes has a car that is more of an all-rounder than in the past.

What’s scary is how much better the RB car is than all of them. If they had 98% of the power of the Merc they would be unbeatable.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Stop drinking the Red Bull, buddy.

That's just their excuse. The big gains Ferrari had this year came from a better understanding of the ERS, Red Bull could put development resources behind that technology if they wished to do so; clearly they have other plans. They're perfectly happy in that limbo where they have no competition and they can play their "but, the Renault" card whilst they get a lot of money from Liberty. I'm pretty sure they've run their cost-benefit analysis and it's not worth it for them to jump up to tier-one.
    acket.

Well their chassis is clearly top notch. If they had a Mercedes or Ferrari power unit then I don’t think they could be beat.

RB is clearly top of tier 1 amongst Renault powered teams.

If RB could get their hands on the engines that went to Sauber, I’m sure RB could be back in contention for the championship again...

But they didn't. Their sorry-ass sob-story is almost as bad a Alonso's.

Almost.
    acket.

Now I certainly have near zero knowledge about the inner workings of F1 but can a chassis team like RB, McLaren etc pretty much pick whatever engine manufacturer they want to deal with as long as they pony up the dollars? Could McLaren go to Mercedes and say hey we are ready to shell out the big bucks for an engine deal and it would be done? Or does Merc, Fer etc only deal with certain teams?

Just curious why a really good chassis team like RB couldn't just make it happen? Or does Merc, Ferr etc not want to sell to someone who could clearly pose them a problem in the championship?

I thought it’s public news that Mercedes and Ferrari didn’t want to sell because they don’t want RB to threaten their own championship ambitions.

As for mclaren, I think they burnt their bridge with Mercedes?

Anyway, I don’t think money is the issue.

There are a bunch of variables to running an F1 car. The PU, the ancilliary elements (gearboxes, clutches, etc) and chassis are only a few of them. And the short answer to your question of whether teams can freely shop for PUs is, yes.

But nothing in F1 is simple.

Take the three elements I listed above, add a fourth in the form of integration. For example Williams has been using Mercedes gearboxes for the last 2 years (I think). It sort of makes sense to use something their PU supplier is also using, except that in Williams' case it doesn't. They are having a lot of problems understanding their own chassis, which they think they have under-developed this year, but they see as a promising technology to further build upon. Now Force India also use the PU + GB combo, plus they throw in some extra components (rear suspension, I think). And that works for them, but it must also work for Mercedes. You see, when you buy something from a powerful entity like Mercedes, the customer is in a disadvantaged position, so they also get deals for having one of their drivers take one of their seats. But we don't know if that also means that Force India (or Williams) have to provide information on how the PU+GB+extras work under certain conditions. So because of the relative assymetry between suppliers and customers in F1 they are not paying only with money.

Could Red Bull run a Mercedes engine? Yes if they were willing to do a faustian pact.

Since that's not a realistic possibility, RBR just go around telling everyone how unfair this whole business of F1 is, at the same time they say that they are the best at building one of the many integrated parts that make up the very complex system that is an F1 car. Which as you can understand is impossible to prove, or disprove.
    acket.