Page 2 of 139 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Teh Formula 1 Encyclopedia: 2018 Edition.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    They could go for Pérez, if something funny happens in the next couple of weeks with @thevijay and his extradition trial.
    acket.

I was itching for F1 news, here's the best that could come up with, regarding Mercedes' power output:
    "Auto Motor und Sport reports that GPS measurements made by a rival of the German marque's engine output at the end of 2017 showed 949hp...
    Ferrari is next in the power rankings with 934hp, followed by 907 for Renault and Honda's 860hp"
    Those numbers are closer than I expected

Interesting, but it's impossible for the rival to know the mechanical grip, nor the amount of drag to a close enough degree for those number to be anything less than +/- like 5%. At least I would think so.

I imagine Modern F1 cars can't put down full power until the aero is causing massive drag. I suppose they could use their own figures, and maybe the error is smaller than I think.

Honda is actually higher than I would have thought, but that may be based on a figure when they opened up the taps. I bet that engine was running at 85-90% all year to try and get some kind of reliability.

I think the teams have good enough telemetry, spying, setup knowledge and reverse engineering that those numbers are fairly accurate.
    All i could think is that those figures came from late last season, at that point Honda's 860 seems feasible, combined with the reliability measures that you mentioned. I think they were quoted at less than 700hp in race trim last season

It has become much clearer what Alonso's focus has been for his twilight years in F1. He wants to build a brand for himself in the US. And it was thought that with Honda it would have been mutually beneficial, but because it was slower to come to fruition than he had planned for, he started to publicly disown them.

I don't fault him for that, an athlete's professional years are short already, but what I don't understand is how he got McLaren to agree to some of his lateral movements. I mean, the part about building a brand in one of the largest markets in the world is easy to understand. AFAIK Ferrari derive a lot more income from license sales than actual car or team stuff. Honda gave Alonso and McLaren a marketing partnership, but Renault? WTF

How is that going to work?
    acket.

I dunno in there, but in Europe Renault is wildly bigger than Honda, especially Honda automotive.

Actually, it may have worked to some degree.

Alonso had more support than anyone else in Texas this year, including (though maybe not, it was close) Hamilton.

America loves an underdog, I don't know if that is the same in Europe or elsewhere. Probably. But if Alonso and Honda came into Austin 3rd in points or something, I don't think he would have had as much support. Seriously.

In the Americas Renault means economy not performance. And in the U.S. no french passenger cars have been sold in numbers higher than Subaru in the last 30 years.
    acket.

Honda also doesn't equal performance in the US anywhere outside of sportbikes (even that has fallen well behind the other brands) since the S2000 went away. I don't think the Type-R has done anything to change that either. It's people movers and generators.

Isn't that the point of Acura? Or are they 'luxury'?

Oh, wait, sorry. Acura is an American brand. #GT-Things