Page 59 of 139 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast

Thread: Teh Formula 1 Encyclopedia: 2018 Edition.

Oftentimes "full potential" isn't necessarily realized on the F1 grid. Professional motorsports has some pretty hot fires to be baptized in but I'd say F1 is probably the hottest of them all. There are literally hundreds of people on the team relying on you to perform in their prized possession. The pressure must be immense to go your fastest and NOT make any costly mistakes. Quite a conundrum I'd say. Some of the top drivers just aren't cut out for that kind of pressure. And on top of that you have to constantly be training your body to handle the physical pressures. And the unimaginable mental and emotional pressures that F1 bombards them with.

I'm surprised there isn't more turnover to be honest.

Junior Potato
    Flying an F-18 is probably less stressful.

Well, if a missile is locked on your tail, I'm sure jet fighters' stress level could surpass level of an f1 driver!

Anyway, yeah, pretty sure all drivers who made it to F1 had to be pretty darn good, it's those who can manage the stress levels the best and don't kill themselves that end up with long careers...

I'm pretty sure even if I'm a much better driver than cudaman, I would not make it just because of all the stress inside and outside the car...

In the modern era. In the 80s I remember Murray Walker saying a driver who was doing a bad job of being lapped had "no business" in Formula 1. He had basically paid for his seat.

Murray Walker is a great guy but full of shit, more often than not.
    Pay drivers have existed since and before the birth of F1. They have made up often more than a quarter of the grid.
    So stop being so shocked and indignant about a stable reality of motorsport all around the world.

Red Bull officialized: they will have Honda powerplants for 2019 and 2020.
    Toro Rosso renews Hartley's contract saying he deserved it. No idea what he deserved, but it's their choice.

Wow. I wonder if Honda is really that good or their relationship with Renault is just really that bad?

It'll be super funny to see RB Hondas end up winning championships and McLaren Renault still at the back of the pack... Hopefully Alonso will win the Indy500 by then.

Speaking of which, this reminds me of how Honda was dropped by Indycar owner Bobby Rahal at 1st..., perhaps that embarrassment helped Honda to push harder to finally win. McLaren should've kicked Honda to the curb sooner?

As for Hartley's renewed contract, that sure is surprising. I was worried that he might be prematurely terminated, but is there really a need to renew his contract NOW?!?!?

One rumor is as good as the next one.

@F1Photographer
    Red Bull/Honda #F1 deal - possibly - a Red Bull exit strategy. Mateschitz growing tired of F1-two year deal-Honda then works team for 2021. Red Bull exit. Ricciardo & Verstappen looking for the door already!

That formatting was hard to read, but red bull exit rumors are nothing new

That makes more sense then...

Anyway, whether true or not, let's hope Honda is truly committed to F1 this time..., not pull out prematurely like previous time...

They must've felt like dumbasses after jenson button won the championship.

You are all forgetting Porsche.
    The deal COULD be like this: 2 years with Honda, then jump ship to Porsche.
    As Red Bull or a new Porsche work team? We will see.