Page 7 of 139 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Teh Formula 1 Encyclopedia: 2018 Edition.

Discussing this in chat with Keith, this is pretty much my bottom line:

You boys are arguing that the only roles for women at the track are roles that you've defined for them. It's legitimately sad. I posted the response from an actual grid girl who was upset by it and it was completely ignored.
    I don't really have anything else to say. I support FOM in that they're a private entity making a private policy. My complaint is the people preening as if this is some kind of win for feminism and I'm not likely to change their minds.

Perhaps people that watch F1 and only see the grid girls are they themselves the problem. When I think of women in F1 I think of Claire Williams.

White Knight... yeah, that's rich. No hero here, just guided by my personal conscience/morality as ever. Being raised by a single mom probably has a lot to do with it but take it as you will. None of my exes had any ambition to be part of motorsports. It was just simple observation of how a entity (motorsports) employs it's female workers. They enjoyed being there but weren't happy that there were no women to be able to root for along with the men and hey I don't think that wanting to not be seen as only a sex object is weak but ok.

I don't think it's a win for feminism. I think it's a reasonable decision given the factors.

I'm not saying that there aren't exceptional women working in motorsports or even F1 specifically, just that this may help increase those numbers in the future.

To be clear: if they *didn't* do this, I wouldn't feel like they HAD to, either. I think the idea that this is a decision with no merit just to appease SJWs and White Knights is unfair.
    Last edited by Kchrpm; February 2nd, 2018 at 05:32 PM.
    Get that weak shit off my track

If you see a beautiful woman and equate her as nothing more than a sex object the problem is you, not the woman. You're supporting them losing their job/hobby because you can't act mature around them. That's horrible.

Since the opinions of those that lost their jobs were ignored once, I'll make it more accessible:

Part-time 'grid girl' Charlotte Gash had told BBC Radio 5 live that she was "disgusted" with F1's decision.

"It's upsetting that it has given in to the minority to be politically correct," she said.

"I'm one of the lucky ones that I don't rely on this as a main source of income, but there are girls out there who do.

"I know the grid girls are there to look pretty when they're out on the grid but my role was interacting with the crowd and we were there as an advertisement for the sponsors. We love doing it, we don't want it taken away from us."

Former grid girl Caroline Hall said she was saddened by F1's "extreme measures".

"I think they could have looked at ways of bringing the role more into line with modern times instead of scrapping it entirely," she told BBC Radio 5 live. "They could have looked at making it more equal between the sexes in the role."
    The fact that her name is Gash is an unfortunate coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    It's not logical that seeing a woman doing one thing on TV means there is no freedom to explore other opportunities in that field or to even try.
    You're 100% correct! Unfortunately we live in a world where logic is usually kicked to the curb.

I agree that finding a way to bring the role into more modern times would have been a better solution, and think it would be great for everyone if it was clearer if they were doing more than just what is represented in the international feed (standing in pit lane, cordoned off from fans, and smiling). As I said, I think this is entirely an issue of how it appears to the first-time/casual fan. The comments from longtime fans and drivers saying that the tittilation is important to them (my friend was angry because the podium celebration would no longer be worth watching) are not helpful but don't sway me either way.

The podium celebrations haven't been worth watching since they started doing those terrible interviews. Usain Bolt? GTFO.

Administrator
    It strikes me that almost nobody in here has championed this as a "big win for feminism", just that you started out by saying "haha, feminism removed some women's jobs." We don't know what prompted this. We do know the FIA are trying to encourage more women to get into racing, maybe they felt like that wasn't in line with that effort. Maybe they've decided that they want more female fans, and focus groups showed that having grid girls was an impediment to that. Maybe everyone running the company are a bunch of raging feminists and your personal boogeyman is the actual truth. We won't ever know, because I doubt that they're going to elaborate more on their decision publicly than they already have.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; February 3rd, 2018 at 09:54 AM.

Yeah, I don't think it's a big win for feminism because, as others have said, especially the models, it's removing jobs from women who choose to do them, and genuinely enjoy them, without in any way really offering new jobs for those people (though my guess is the fan sections will have more promotional models each weekend). The usual solution is to transition the role to something where they're in a business casual outfit and providing information and a sales pitch to fans, but Formula 1's grid girls are not representing a sponsor or product that they can talk up, they're just their for the series/country. I don't know what the equivalent would be given that situation, perhaps just roaming the cold grid/pits providing general schedule/track/series information?

Edit: I want to edit to clarify that I understand that you're not saying it's a big win for feminism, either, but the easiest way I know how to say that is to just write this edit