Page 89 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast

Thread: Teh Formula 1 Encyclopedia: 2018 Edition.

They had some discussion about the spa crash and the halo effectiveness. What they were showing was how Alonso’s car was rotating in the air in such a way that the front wheel may have come much closer to his head had the halo not been there. I didn’t really notice the rotation last week so I retract my earlier skepticism about it not even being that close. The way the car was turning in the air that tire may have skimmed him had the halo been gone.

Helmut Marko in talks with Ferrari to get Kyvat back to Toro Rosso. WTF.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Kimi?

Kimi!!
    acket.

Also forgot... Ocon has already tried to fit in the cockpit of a McLaren, but being too tall they are reworking the pedals.
    So, Sainz - Ocon to me in McLaren next season.
    Vandoorne to Sauber? Vergne refused Toro Rosso's offer, maybe Lando Norris will get there?
    Meanwhile Lance Stroll is trying his seat for the Racing Point FI cockpit.

It seems the fatter slicks really help with the braking.

Spoiler:
    But marvel at the massive acceleration of the V10s.
    acket.

I watched that earlier today and you can really tell that the modern slicks and downforce is where the advantages were.

Watch how much faster Kimi gets through the final left/right/left section. Put the old V10 in a modern chassis and we’d see some ridiculous lap times.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Could’ve veered right, could’ve veered left.

These cars are under immense forces that are controlled by the micro-reactions in the driver’s hands and feet.

If you don’t believe me, next time you’re playing a racing sim, break the rear wing off and try to drive the car.
    Okay, that makes more sense, during straight line braking in an unstable loose rear end car, when it loses control, there’s probably a 50/50 chance whatever direction it veers, all depend on how the car might be perturbed... wind, road bump, slightest driver input...

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    I watched that earlier today and you can really tell that the modern slicks and downforce is where the advantages were.

Watch how much faster Kimi gets through the final left/right/left section. Put the old V10 in a modern chassis and we’d see some ridiculous lap times.
    That was cool to watch.

Also notice how much more relaxed Raikkonen’s steering inputs are than Montoya’s. A track resurface might be the biggest factor there, but the Ferrari looked like a doddle compared to the relatively ancient Williams.

it's also 120kg heavier with wider, non-grooved slicks (think JPMs had higher downforce AND less drag)

Good race; quick with passing (including for the lead)
    Good strategy by Mercedes (may have not even been necessary to sandwich Kimi)

and Max is a dick once again; hip-checks Bottas (under braking, what else is new) and the says Bottas hit him. Obviously he's completely befuddled to get a +5sec penalty

Max is an idiot.

An enthusiastic idiot, nonetheless.
    acket.