Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodbye, old friend

Junior Potato
    I’ve still got my old PlayStations and GTs and memory cards with a million cars on them. I’ll never part with ‘em!

But I am lacking a good CRT. My last was a 32” Panasonic widescreen with progressive scan support and holy hell did PS2 games look good on that thing when using component cables. When I got an HDTV I sold it to my parents and the last time I saw it was just after dropping it off at my auntie’s place.

If anyone’s got old hardware and wants to use it on a modern TV then it might be worth checking out a device like the Framemeister or similar, which take your old analogue outputs and convert them to HDMI. They’re expensive but the retro gaming fans love them.

Those things are heavy!!!

Hey we asked if you wanted help moving that thing into/out of your Subaru, Kid!

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Fond memories...

Sadly, I do not own and current version GT nor do I play GT anymore ever since the kid arrives... probably around 5~6 years ago?
    You bought my Bob Earl VRC in 2011. That was a short-lived adventure then huh?

This thread brings back memories of carrying the 13" CRT TV and PSX in the car for GTParties.

Yeah the Dex Drive was a little device you put your mem card in and transferred the saved game or replay to a file on your computer. You emailed the file to someone else and they could download it onto their dexdrive to a memcard and watch it to follow your ghost, verify times etc etc. We had a lot of competitions back in the day. I made it to 2 GTParties here in Florida. One was hosted by MR2Fan at a bar here in Tampa...played up on the big screens...big fun. The other was down in Ft Lauderdale area at JM2's house. MrTim came all the way from Australia. EMc, myself, Macattack (JM2s brother if I remember correctly) and a few others.

After GT2 I stopped playing because I never owned a PS2. I started PC games at that time. Then got back into GT5 when I got a PS3 for my son
    Last edited by JoeW; December 4th, 2017 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Dex Drive let you get the game save onto your computer. I never did the Game Shark thing but I imagine it was what let you edit the files?

A Game Shark was basically a memory (RAM) monitor with patching capabilities.

You could save sets of instructions for specific memory patches, with some conditional capabilities, but it didn't really do anything with replay or save files directly

I believe I used my Dex Drive to send memory card saves to mk in Finland to help him develop (the North American version of) a Windows editor you could use to edit Dex Saves (GT garages). At one point he also had me do some dynamic experiments with the Game Shark somehow related to determining the CRC stuff. I think he sent an email message with a bunch of patch this to this and tell me what this other location becomes. Or perhaps it was via GT forum messaging. We never had instant communication of any sort. Though I do remember at least one conversation with reasonably quick turn-around, but I really can't remember the medium.

You could affect your saved games with a Game Shark, because if you changed the area of RAM which was your garage (etc.), it would get saved (without errors) and thereby preserved "forever". So in that sense you could edit the files. But many Game Shark codes worked with areas of RAM which were not directly derived from, and would never be written back to, the save file. For instance, you could patch the number of laps for a race, or the course used for it.
    Last edited by SportWagon; December 4th, 2017 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    Yeah, sadly... baby was born in 2012!!! I still have that in my garage! It just couldn't compete with my daughter's toys in the limited real estate in the living room! Someday...

Nice, gents. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post

This thread brings back memories of carrying the 13" CRT TV and PSX in the car for GTParties.
    Yep. And daisy chaining 6 PSXs together for the racing. Good times.