Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodbye, old friend

Goodbye, old friend

Nope, not a person or a pet. Or a car. But it was something I figure this group could relate to.

We're having some flooring replaced in our house. That has required us to completely empty a couple rooms into other areas of the house. That made me realize it was time for our older but functionally perfect CRT TV in the basement to go.

But how to get rid of it? Charity drop-off places like Goodwill don't take them anymore, I'm told (or maybe I've seen signs at their drop-off places). I often see older TVs sitting out on the curb with signs taped to them saying "IT WORKS!" or similar in an attempt to get someone to haul them away. I guess the charity places (and computer places, too) figure they're too undesirable these days for them to sell for profit. I tried to drop off an older CRT all-in-one Macintosh a while back at a "free computer recycling" place and a guy actually got angry when I placed it in one of their bins. I was almost out the door when I head him start crying about it. "Hey! You can't leave that here!" HEY, I'M TALKING TO YOU! Hmm. thought I was doing the right thing instead of pitching it into a dumpster somewhere. Guess not.

The solution?

Why, sell it on craigslist as part of a bundle with an original Sony Playstation and 30 games, or course!

My picture from the ad is below. If I had been home when the replies started coming, I would have sold it in a couple hours. As it worked out, I listed it on Saturday afternoon and it was gone by 10:00 AM Sunday morning. I should have taken a pic in the game rather than the title screen, as I had 1020 game days in GT2, $26 million in the bank, a car full of quirky classic cars, and the game 98-point-something complete. I played both GT and GT2 for a little bit Saturday night and decided I won't miss them, or the Playstation. I did hook it up to a HDTV, but it looked terrible on a new TV - much worse than on the older one. Oh well, it's all gone now.

Apparently lost over the years: a Playstation S-Video cable and a Dex Drive (anyone remember those?)

Goodbye, old friend. I sure wasted a lot of time with this thing, but I made some friends along the way.

For the first time since the late 1990s, I do not own a version of Gran Turismo.

I guess I have to turn in my GTXF membership card and secret decoder ring now.

I was worried for a second...

It's not that big of a loss. On to bigger & better things!

Pretty sure I had a Dex Drive so I could do something with EZGT. Share setups or validate laps via replay or something.

Shame that EZGT for GT2 had a regular race every week and we don't have anything like that at all now, despite the advances in online gaming in the franchise.

I'm not sure I remember what Dex Drives did. Trade game saves with other people, maybe? They came before Game Sharks, which I never had but remember reading about people making hybrid cars with them - such as putting a Corvette engine in a Demio or whatever. I think that was a GT2 thing if I remember correctly. I has been a long time.

Dex Drive let you get the game save onto your computer. I never did the Game Shark thing but I imagine it was what let you edit the files?

Yeah, that sounds about right.

I remember before all that, people would just post their lap times in "races" at the original GT forum on the honor system. It was pretty evident if someone was lying.

Administrator
    If memory serves, I'm pretty sure the Dex Drive was mostly used by us for sharing replays, often as proof of laptimes when we had competitions.

Probably. I remember playing along and posting race times early on, and always at the back of the pack. I didn't understand that. I mean, I always beat the AI cars, right? And I had gold medals in a lot of the license tests to get the Concept Car or whatever.

Then our friend Fogelhund was kind enough to let me into his home in around the year 2000 and DESTROYED me in a two-player race. Manual transmission, huh? Oh. I never wanted to press all those extra buttons while playing. He was FAST, and I don't think I ever tried to compare times with you guys after that.

Fond memories...

Sadly, I do not own and current version GT nor do I play GT anymore ever since the kid arrives... probably around 5~6 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Probably. I remember playing along and posting race times early on, and always at the back of the pack. I didn't understand that. I mean, I always beat the AI cars, right? And I had gold medals in a lot of the license tests to get the Concept Car or whatever.

Then our friend Fogelhund was kind enough to let me into his home in around the year 2000 and DESTROYED me in a two-player race. Manual transmission, huh? Oh. I never wanted to press all those extra buttons while playing. He was FAST, and I don't think I ever tried to compare times with you guys after that.
    Yep, GTP's were always humbling -- I didn't even bother trying to race at the MWGTP that Gunmetal hosted.

Just a constant backmarker. #stonehands