Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Return of the Dark Lord! (Netflix Bright thread - SPOILERS)

Return of the Dark Lord! (Netflix Bright thread - SPOILERS)

Bright Sequel Announced by Netflix! Will Smith & Joel Edgerton Return!

Quote Originally Posted by ComingSoon.net
    Bright premiered on the streaming service on December 22, 2017 and became the highest-viewed Netflix film ever in its first week of release, and one of the biggest originals (including sequels/additional seasons) Netflix has ever launched.

Bright is the #1 movie on Netflix in every country (190+ countries) since its release with more people viewing the film internationally than domestically.

However, there was a huge disparity between audiences and critics, with only 28% of Rotten Tomatoes reviews being positive, while audiences gave it an 88% positive score.
    I'll update this thread with other bits from time to time.
    Last edited by novicius; January 3rd, 2018 at 07:36 AM.

Shannon wasn't a fan of the stand-alone movie, but thought it would make a good series.

I enjoyed it.

My thought is that it's going to potentially be an entire movie/tv show universe to replace the Marvel stuff once their new owner, Disney yanks that away from Netflix.

I liked the movie. Shallow, but fun. Easy to see just how much set-up that movie was. There is so much potential.

Quote Originally Posted by ScreenRant.com
    As for the existing shows that Netflix already houses such as Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, The Defenders and The Punisher, it has been confirmed that they will be staying on their original platform.
    Netflix pays for those shows so Netflix owns them. Confirmed (so far) by Disney journo Ben Fritz.

I could eventually see Disney/Marvel either having equal rights to stream them or maybe paying Netflix to co-stream them on the new Mouse House channel but Netflix makes them.

Ergo, Netflix is looking to push out new proprietary content (like every other streaming service high and low) like Bright.

Those things can always change though with a check (or stock transfer, however huge companies buy things)... So yeah, distribution could change like you say, or entire rights.

As for Bright, I think this is a good move. The movies biggest flaw IMO is that it felt like it needed a sequel or prequel, or a series, or something to compliment it. You can't have a movie that sacrifices to setup a world, and then not use that world for other things.

From The Hollywood Reporter:

Quote Originally Posted by THR.com
    One key player who will not be returning for round two is writer Max Landis, who was paid a reported $3 million to $4 million for his screenplay in 2016 when the project ignited a bidding war before ultimately selling to Netflix.

(Director David) Ayer will be taking over scripting duties. The director commonly takes on both writer and director responsibilities on his features, including the WWII film Fury and the cop drama End of Watch.
    Thank the Maker!

Landis is pure trash. Couldn't believe he wrote this, actually -- and I'm glad to have learned that basically a single sentence of his was ultimately used and not re-written by Ayer & Co.

*looks him up*

I liked Chronicle. Haven't seen anything else.
    Get that weak shit off my track

I enjoyed Bright.

Although it felt kind of Bad Boys in Fantasy-land to me.

I felt the same way.....Bad Boys but with magic. I did like it though and Netflix's production is definitely getting better. I can foresee a future where a big motion picture is released on Netflix or Amazon rather than in the theaters. Then maybe it is big enough to get a theater release.

Hopefully in the future film(s) they will be able to incorporate the dragons.

The Great Wyrm of Silver Lake? Or is it Mulholland?

You'd think Russ could tell us some inter-departmental stories...