Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo cataloguing/editing software

Photo cataloguing/editing software

Because I am still processing photos from 10.2015 and because I generate 1:1 previews for all photos, my Lightroom Previews were taking up 300GB of space on my 1TB SSD. lol

I use Nikon Capture NX-D to make basic edits then export to a named folder. I used Picasa for a while to make online albums, but haven't opened it in years.

Junior Potato
    I’ve stopped caring about storing and archiving and editing photos because smartphones well and truly overtook my 9 year old DSLR for image quality some years ago. But I do have a large and robust camera roll in my iPhone full of dumb pictures of cats and hoomans and shit I find on the internet.

And not to mention anything I want to do with photos I find much more convenient to do in-phone using apps than it is to boot up the pooter and copy images etc.

Lol.

I think my RAW and jpeg archive, back at home, clocks around 145gb. Haven't had the time to do edit and postprocessing to any of them since... when I bought the camera?
    I took the time to edit extensively 2 (TWO) pictures since december 2015. Two full years, two pictures. HEH.
    Lightroom, CaptureOne and the fantastic Amazon Drive Cloud (with Prime Photo unlimited space to store picture files - even RAWs - if you've Prime) to store them online.

This is the opposite of a pro's workflow but I had too many photos to deal with. What I ended up doing is using Google Photos to back up every photo I've ever taken. Next, I put all my original DSLR photos on external hard drives. I don't bother doing offline backup with my iPhone photos.

Whenever I need to call up something I use Google, which is usually high resolution for anything I need it for, including developing a 4x6. If I need to do touchup, edit a raw file or blow up poster size, I will go to my external hard drives (I rarely do this).

Pros:

Google has unlimited storage with a catch (see cons). Google's search algorithm by keyword is great. If I need to find a picture of a cat I took 10 years ago I just search for "cat". Face detection is really good as well. My biggest fear is losing all my photos in a fire so a google cloud backup is sufficient for me. I can also call up a random image on my phone at anytime which is neat and all my phone pictures are backed up when I open the app on Wifi. On my last vacation, I did nightly backups in case I lost my phone the next day.

Cons:

Google on free tier will downsample. I did a compare on compression and I couldn't eyeball any differences. They will downsample on large resolutions though. Google will know even more (tinfoil hat). Another con is having to fuss with external hard drives when I need the original file. Oh this is impossible with slow internet (upspeed).
    Last edited by DelSolMan; March 19th, 2018 at 02:43 PM.

Another con for chaotic Google Photo service: it doesn't save folders but mix everything together.

Indeed, it does not care about your device's folder structure at all. One good thing about that is that you can have the same media in multiple folders, and choose whether to share photo edits across all folders or to make a unique copy.

Makes the initial sorting a PITA if you or your device has already done it, but allows for downstream flexibility.

Also, the facial recognition in Google Photos can be annoying: it doesn't let you manually select or identify faces. It will group together what it thinks are the same face, and let you assign a name to that group, but you can't manually add an image it missed to that group.

Also, you can't remove an image from a group on the mobile app, only from the (non-mobile) web version.

I solved that with great Amazon Drive and Prime Photos: illimited space for picture files, even RAW ones. And you can backup whole folders. Awesome so far, and I've 145GB of picture already in it.