Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nostalgia.

Junior Potato

Yeah saw that a couple days ago. Kinda cool that they used Kojima for one of the crowd models.

From our GT4 days (I should have more, but can't find them):
    str-2.jpg
    str-2_326.jpg

That is one of my favorite series I ever completed.

I was massively uncompetitive.

It can be amusing to buy a used PS2 memory card, and then find on it a snippet of someone's life. I'd decided to use GT3 in a fat PS2 sitting underneath a slim one with GT4, so I could use the GT3 memory-card manager ("file operation").

I was surprised the card I bought to use as "scratch" while I go GT4 Cougar-hunting actually had a GT3 game save on it.
    Spoiler:
    day 364 Cr180,946 Viper GTS

Complete: 21.7%
    Prize Total 1,712,000
    318 wins / 318 races = 100%
    License: IA 9G 3S 27B (No S done; 7/8 Rally done)
    Cars Owned: 6
    Total Mileage: 3287.0 miles
    Total Car Value: 2,099,950
    Bonus Cars Acquired: 19
    Trophies Acquired: 326

Garage:
    Mini Cooper 1.3i
    RUF CTR2
    Vertigo Race Car
    New Beetle RSI
    Zonda C12S
    Viper GTS (current)
    Other games on the card were
    Spoiler:
    NFS MW, PAC-MAN WORLD 2, NFS Undercover, TRANSFORMERS: THE GAME,
    SanDandreas, NHL 2005, 007: NightFire, NFSU 2, ACE COMBAT ZERO,
    NFS Carbon, MOH Rising Sun, Pac-Man Fever, SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALS,
    Tetris Worlds, KINGDOMHEARTS/01, GTA ViceCity, GTA3
    Leaving 2,099KB Free, which means I can leave them all beside
    a GT4 save.

GT3 was dated 13/06/2003. The most recent was NFS MW 04/09/2013

Thanks, Greg.

GT3 File Operation Versus PS2 Memory Card Manager
    PROs:
    - GT3 loads much faster (renders icons faster, and works before all are shown)
    - GT3 shows both create and update date; sometimes significant

CONs:
    - GT3 shows only date portions, not including the time-of-day

Sometime I should see if I can remember/relearn how to use my
    Action Replay.
    Last edited by SportWagon; March 17th, 2021 at 06:49 AM.

Junior Potato

Sometime in the first decade of this century, when they were current products, I bought a pair of Logitech Driving Force Pro wheel controllers. I tried them briefly with GT4, but decided they were not for me. So one stayed attached to a wooden coffee table in a corner of the basment, while the other remained in its box.

So as part of decluttering, I thought I should take them to a nearby used game place and perhaps get money for them or probably trade them for things I can use more. But having been unused for so many years, I decided I should verify that they work correctly, even if I can't master them.
    Spoiler:
    Years ago I recall trying to learn them by driving very slow cars; I remember the Citroen 2CV races. But I sort of think that wasn't a good way to do it. The combination of not learning them, and the awkwardness of bringing table and wheel (and, actually, especially pedal unit) to the living room caused me to abandon them.

So this time I've been trying (GT4) license tests, including guide laps. Now, I'm a rather bad player so even with dual shock gold is usually unattainable for me, and silver often takes a very long time.

And the tests do seem a little bit harder because I am unfamiliar with the wheel. I think the dual shock control interpretation is sometimes very forgiving, when interacting with the physics model. This makes it harder to "feel" things with the wheel, especially initially.

The only thing which seems immediately perhaps more natural is dirt driving.
    I probably could get used to the wheels, actually, but they take up a lot more space than a dual shock does, tending to commit an area to game playing rather than allowing the game to be played occasionally, e.g. at my computer desk. So I will probably go through with it and get rid of the wheels after my evaluation.

Along the way, I have determined I am not an automobile enthusiast, because I think the sequential shifter should push away for an upshift, and pull back for a downshift.
    https://www.thedrive.com/news/39285/...to-more-people

I have the same problem with the paddle shifters; I feel left should shift up, and right shift down. But I find that a little easier to learn consciously. And so I'll probably never use the sequential lever again. And the right upshift paddle seems to be even more of a standard for that in real life, so... Well, I guess I should consciously test that both sequential levers are working.

(When using a dual shock I always, when I can, map shift up to R1 and shift down to R2).
    Last edited by SportWagon; November 19th, 2022 at 11:24 AM.

Junior Potato
    I’ve never heard of anyone in my life mapping up/down shift to R1/R2. I can see why it might work though: I imagine you use the face buttons for accel/brake like the classic layout, and that frees up your left index finger for the mirror at all times, which I imagine is mapped to L1.

With paddle shifters, logically up would be on the right because that’s the side the throttle is on, and down would be on the left because that’s the side the brake is on. In modern racing cars with DRS or fuel boost (examples are F1, IndyCar, and Super Formula) you map the boost button to somewhere on the left of the wheel because you’ll be using your right hand to change gears and you don’t want the two actions to interfere.

And I’ve always been puzzled by the reversal of the up/down direction for sequential stick shifters. On automatic gearboxes the higher gears are at the bottom of the gate, but with the fake sequential shift modes attached to the side of the normal auto gearbox selector, even there they are backwards.

I grew up watching BTCC so in my head changing up has always been a pull of the lever.

Administrator
    I was figuring that or maybe using the right stick for throttle. It feels much easier for me to regulate throttle and brake with the triggers, so I'm always square for downshift and O for upshift (or whatever the equivalent is for non Playstation controllers).

And yeah, the Skip Barber cars I drove also were pull back for upshift, push forward for downshift. I've only really ever driven one car with one of those automatic fake sequential things on the stick, and it went side to side rather than forward and back (and followed the same left for down, right for up thing).