Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    I remember the bad QA in GT2, the "Palm Strip" dragstrip that was labeled but never included, and of course, the Camero (yes,Camaro) or whatever the car was under the cover on GT1 (probably just a Skyline)
    "Plam Strip"

And more nostalgia. Been watching this guy's vids a lot lately where he does various sim racing challenges, but he's also been streaming GT1 lately. Here's a vod of him trying to all gold the liscence tests. And yes, he got stuck HARD on the RX-7 test. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi3zweVorUk

On last Sunday afternoon (April 14, 2019) I decided to try and get my PS1(PSX) and silver slim PS2 running again. I hadn't played them in a long time, probably years, and I was in a somewhat depressed state and thought playing might help. I couldn't figure out how I had the video hooked into my collection of equipment. Time was running short, so I left (minimally late) to meet my wife.

So I got up in the very early morning to try again. The failure had added to a general state of depression. Eventually I recalled the video output from both consoles (RCA) was going through an old VCR which was acting as an RCA video switchbox and that usually they would be hooked into an RCA input on my HDD. But I could see the cables not attached. Took a little while to determine how to power on the VCR (i.e. figure out which power cord was its), but I got both PS1 and PS2 to work!

PS1 had GT1 with my January 2014 15th anniversary game. I played a bit of simulation mode. First I successfully did all 8 B license tests, taking a few tries to bronze each. Then I took a blue prize Civic(Racer), stock, and managed to win the Sunday Cup badly (6th in the first race). (I am, at my best, a somewhat mediocre player). I did not diary record my results, nor save the game back to the card.

PS2 had my only GT4 game. Unfortunately the car was the black Mazda 787B, so racing wasn't practical. I couldn't even overpower a Sunday Cup event because the game switched me to unuseable normal tires. And I didn't want to switch cars and thereby write to the memory card.

I decided to try a license test, so looked for one I had golded. It was I think a yellow MR2 at High Speed Ring esses. I managed to pass (bronze) the first try I stayed on track, and thought that the standard was a lot more forgiving than in GT1. So I turned off that console too, without writing to the memory card, I think.
    Actually, researching, I think the license test was A-2, Lotus Elise 111R '04 at the High Speed Ring esses.

And then I went back to sleep for a little while longer.
    Last edited by SportWagon; April 17th, 2019 at 09:04 AM.

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    GT1 definitely has more difficult handling than the rest of the GT games.

I never started with GT1, even though i helped my neighbour pass a few races with it i ended up buying GT2 first. I bought GT1 years later around the time GT4 or so was out, and tried playing it but completely sucked at it!

GT2 is still my most favoured GT game ever, music/car/track etc selection was and is still really awesome. I've still got all the GT games, and the devices to play them on (purposely kept an old CRT TV to play them on).

Same, my cousins had GT1. I bought GT2 at launch. I remember picking it up on the way to work and reading the little jewel case books that came with it during my lunch break.

Oh man I loved that Cardigan song. And I particularly loved the Van Halen intro to GT4.

Junior Potato
    That intro was trash in comparison to the original Japanese version. It had the same visuals but they were set to the Japanese music, and it fit much better.

Watch!

(the extended music track is a bit of a face melter: https://youtu.be/_BDasfJ9dk8?t=241)

(as is the GT5 version: https://youtu.be/nmcuZ1A8eso?t=263)

Yeah, no.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Yeah, no.
    Don't you mean "Yeah nah"?

With that said, I prefer the Japanese version. But both are great.

Bleh....give me Van Halen over that shit any day.