Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Michigan State

For cases like these, should parents also be jailed? Is it possible that the parents never heard anything even from their own daughters and continue to push their kids into these programs?

This is probably very similar to what's going on at Catholic Church...

Emotional attachment to the organization caused lots of people to not believe what they heard...

Anyway, Harvey Weinstein has to be the worst of the worse so far!

Junior Potato

Administrator

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    It's college. Parents aren't told shit.
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

Anyway, that's one extreme..., the other extreme is that it is possible to end up having vivid false memories when people are asked leading questions again and again by interrogators...

There were parents falsely put in jail when the child supposedly remembered some repressed memories of childhood molestations, but in fact, they were false memories induced by questionings that were leading... Human brains can often end up making up stuff to fill in the blanks when someone kept on asking leading questions...

Anyway, my point is that charging somebody based solely on memory is not very reliable.

Not to mention sometimes there could also be other hidden personal or political agendas.

I have mixed feelings about this me too movement due to these possible extremes.

I still think Al Franken losing his senate seat for behaving like a stupid comedian while he was a comedian was way harsh.

I've never felt that comfortable with western cultures of hugging and cheeky kisses as gestures of greeting, but have learned to accept that..., but I'd always let girls initiate these greetings. If they don't do it, I won't. Not even a hand shake. Only thing I'd do when I first meet somebody is to smile and nod. Good thing I don't ever initiate contact with females per Doc Love's suggestion, for otherwise when someday I become famous, I might even fall victim of sexual harassment.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; January 29th, 2018 at 07:49 AM.

Administrator
    Do you happen to have any examples of someone being charged based solely on someone's testimony, with no other corroborating evidence?

I'm not a lawyer and don't have any specific archived info at my finger tips, but I'm sure you can google and find some.

Let me just share with you this link: https://socialecology.uci.edu/news/w...ul-convictions

And this: https://www.theguardian.com/science/...nvict-innocent
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; January 29th, 2018 at 09:48 AM.

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    Billi, if you're even going to start with the "they may be making their rape stories up", you're going to go on ignore. Don't even argue that shit.
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

I am arguing both extremes.

How can we ensure the story is true, and if true, how should we hold the guilty parties responsible.

I don't know if people are making up stories. In some cases, folks with false memories honestly believe in their false account as true.
    Human memories can become very imaginative. Science can back that claim up.

We can't allow the likes of Harvey to fuck over folks, but we also shouldn't immediately throw whoever is accused off the bus.

By completely ignoring the other side is a quick way to become an extremist in any issue.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; January 29th, 2018 at 10:14 AM.

Administrator
    I am well aware of the idea of implanted and suggested memories. They are a real thing, there was a man who was wrongfully convicted that lived around the block from me that that happened to. He was a special needs guy that worked at a local church, someone accused him, and a bunch of other children ended up having "repressed memories" come up during therapy, then it turned out that none of it happened. As far as we can tell, one child's mom thought he "looked creepy" (he had some physical deformities) and things snowballed from there.

The problem is, the nightmare scenario you're proposing hasn't happened yet. We can burn that bridge if we get to it, but as far as I can tell, nobody has been charged with anything without some actual corroborating evidence. We are nowhere near the point where we need to start telling victims of sexual abuse to "prove it or shut up."

In the meantime, it's all well and good to be on guard about that, but start worrying about it when someone gets charged with something based solely on that. I'm in agreement that I wish Franken hadn't stepped down, but he did so of his own volition. He wasn't charged with anything. He hasn't been convicted of anything. For all we know, it was a strategic move to put the democratic party in a better position in the 2018 elections, with a strategy of "we handle it when one of our own has issues while you guys tried to get an alleged child molester elected". Who knows.

In the meantime, the MSU/NCAA/US Gymnastics situation is in abso-fucking-lutely no way a case of repressed memories, and honestly, posting something like that in this thread is disrespectful at best.