Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Le Mans / IMSA

Junior Potato
    Here’s onboard from the Porsche at Spa, alongside Hamilton’s qualifying lap.

It’s fascinating to watch. The 919 gets a good lead early on but the Merc actually catches up during the mid-lap sequence and gets close enough to be equal by Stavelot, but then the Porsche takes off again and is way ahead before the bus stop. I put it down to being very slippery at high speed while still having just enough downforce to put in a good show in the tight stuff. I’d love to see what would happen if you put a Formula 1 PU in the back of the Porsche; would it be faster or slower?

In its current guise Porsche would eat a Formula 1 car at a long track like Le Mans.

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    I may be wrong, but I believe the Porsche produces more power. Porsche claims the Evo version of the 919's Turbo V4 produces 720hp, and the electrical systems produce 440hp. WEC cars also have two energy harvesting systems while F1 I believe still only has one.

The 919 also loses out on the fact that it is 150kg heavier than the F1 car.
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

Also, they way they use those hybrid systems is quite different, I think.

I think the Mercedes basically has full power the whole lap, while the Porsche has to deploy the extra battery power (which is a larger percentage of overall vs. F1) more strategically and it can't use 'full' power as much. Notice it starts to slow before Les Comb's braking zone, that's not lifting, just hybrid switching off. It loses big before Fagnes too.

Also there 919 ran on a cold day, according to the driver he was only barely able to get the tires up to usable range.

Be interesting to see what a years development will do for the F1 car as well.

Cool video nonetheless!

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    Surprised they didn't do retro liveries for all four 911s.
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

Junior Potato
    That Rothmans one looks outstanding.