Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Godson - 1993 Chevrolet Corvette Z07

Been working like crazy to find a thermostatic oil cooler sandwich plate, bought a mishimoto 200F plate for 140$. Problem is, the Vette uses m18 x 1.5 threads for the oil filter and nobody makes and sells just that adapter pipe to attach the sandwich plate. So i have a guy looking to make me one, or if he doesn't have the needed tools, I'll need to buy another sandwich plate entirely for just the purpose of that pipe. Effing crazy.

Also ordered brake duct hose, 2.5 in. The backing plate I have are 3 in, and everyone in the c4 community says 3 in can't be done with any chance of the car being close to stock. Just not enough room. So, I'm having the plates modified to fit 2.5in tubing, which I just bought on Pegasus racing.

Also just registered for the TT, thanks to Nate, I got a 50$ off coupon, with transponder rental, 220$. That's only 70$ more than a TNIA, and more track time. I'll take it.

I have a metric fuck ton of things to get done by next Friday. It's going to be busy, but worth it.

That registration includes two dinners, too!

Oh yeah!

So like...I have a LOT to update on...

Bushings are in!

Like what happened at the track day shenanigans with Nate etc. Need info!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_SS View Post
    Like what happened at the track day shenanigans with Nate etc. Need info!

Okay.

I got to the track on Friday night after a long but good day at work, because....reasons. The last TNiA I went to, I overheated the pads by quiet a bit, and it took a long time to get them to have any sort of consistent feel or performance again. This was with cool down laps, not going very hard on the brakes, etc.

So for this event I upgraded to the Carbotech XP10 in front and XP8 in rear. I started to swap to the brakes when I got there. And that wasn't a smooth process because of lack of sleep and exhaustion. The brake ducts wouldn't work because I'm a dumbass and didn't think this shit through. So I get the brakes and new rotors swapped over and cleaned up at 3am. Was planning on sleeping out under the stars because it had been a while, and then it starts fucking dumping rain, so I sleep in the truck with Murphy.

I wake up at 715 with Ash tapping on the glass and smiling excitedly for her 5k. While Nate and her go for a run, I finish putting on the required stickers and tidying up loose ends.

I bed the brakes in during the "paced laps" and park the car to give the brakes adequate time to cool before first session. I hadn't checked tire pressures or anything, because I honestly had low hopes or expectations of the car surviving the first session due to prior experience with the car. First session goes off without a hitch, car is a little loose and bouncy and I'm still getting the feel for the car, honestly.

I park the car in impound after first session like we are instructed to for debriefing for the group, I look over and see fluid dripping at a pretty consistent rate from the from of the car. After I parked the car, the radiator let go. I had zero signs of over heating outside of higher oil temps, which is nothing new.

I alert who I need to and they clean up the coolant while I move the car from impound and start looking for a radiator. I'm in Topeka, and could find nothing. Prices were 250-600+ and not available until Sunday at the earliest. It is probably 1100 at this point and I remember a place online that had some odd options for radiators in stock in KC. 1-800-radiator. I give them a buzz and they have one on the shelf. I'm 1 hour from them and it's now noon. I disconnect the trailer, pet Murphy, and hop into the truck. Zip down the highway, exhaustion hits, and I stop at a rest stop to grab a 15 minute power nap.

I get to KC around 1345, grab the radiator and zip back to Topeka to install. If all goes well, I could have the radiator in and system bled before the final session.

I get there with the intention to do just that, but once I get into it, I decide rushing it for the sake of track time isn't as smart as just getting it done right. So I slow down and finish it off right while the final session is running.

Meanwhile, a storm is brewing to the north and everyone is freaking like it is going to be there any minute. Me living here my whole life knows the wind hasn't changed direction, the temperature hasn't dropped, and the storm had been going northeast for quite some time. As I buttoned the car up and finished the last bits, the temperature drops no less than 15 degrees, the wind switches directly towards us at South East, and the lightening shoots off south of us. I'm talking Amber colored lightening. This is a STORM. Like a solid Midwestern storm.

We tether some shit down, and get to cover in the garage. And the the fucking rain comes down!

It rains all night, hails a little bit, and it wet for the track Sprint on Sunday. I have NO FUCKING CLUE WHAT THIS CAR IS GOING TO DO. I feel like it is toe changing on the rear due to bushings, etc. Like, I'm legit nervous of what could happen. The federals I'm on I know are slow, I know nothing about how they are going to deal with water, and I tip toe through the session. No drama. I also find out these tires, and the car aren't too bad for the rain.

Final session for the day comes in, and I get black flagged for oil going over alpha and into the carousel. Pop the hold and sure as shit, the passenger side valve cover is leaking. This is a brand new valve cover gasket on both sides, along with torquing the bolts to spec prior to that session.

I chalk it up as a successful and fun weekend and go hang out with Ash and Murphy while awaiting trophies. Next thing I know, my class is being announced and I pull a 3rd place petty trophy!

I'm legit shocked, and happy at the same time.

Tl;Dr, I fought hard through the trials of life and placed 3rd in my first event!

I love the picture of you up at the podium with Murphy!!! Plus, I believe that 3rd place was well earned after all the problems popping up.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. I had been driving around on occasion with 5 month old expired tags. I was pulled over in a not good area and given a warning, because I legit had no idea. I went to get the car inspected for safety, which is all we have in Missouri, and it failed. One of the power steering feed lines had residue on it that I neglected to clean off after the bushing swap on the rack. It also needed a windshield replacement. So I get a windshield replaced, the weatherstripping on the car crumbles, and replace the hose and clean the area of the power steering system. Car passes.

Issue is, when it rains outside, it now rains inside too. Like...big time. I find this out a few days before the TT, and don't have enough time or income to replace it, and that monsoon rain swings through. I literally had standing water in the car during the track Sprint. Good times. Lol.

Also, the new brake pads are great, even without cooling I had serious confidence in them. Oil cooler didn't get installed either, oil temps topped at 265 before I started to back off at 17 minutes or so.

I finally had enough money to justify getting the weatherstripping ordered and replaced this weekend after the garage teardown, and began that project on Sunday. Only issue with cheap weatherstripping is, it's too God damned big and the Targa top is no longer a one man install, the windows won't roll up without having to open the door. I'm going to call the manufacturer on Wednesday to see what the deal is and if I can get a refund or not. It's like, really bad. They fucking seal though. I have free time in the upcoming weeks to get the oil cooler installed now that all the parts are here, and the time to get the brake ducts handled prior to nationals at the end of September. Still a whole lot of things to do, but it's all coming to a head.

I'm super excited.