Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Godson - 1993 Chevrolet Corvette Z07

/me hearts a digital dash

Tires can still be good for a while if stored properly (no ozone, no freezing temps, no sun). The Yokohamas we just used at Nationals have a build date over a year old. Methinks they were made in a batch in Japan, and either were stored there for a while or took the slowest boat to the US. They're still super grippy.

Starting to get super excited.

Air oil separator from Moroso (176 shipped and the last one in the country) showed up today, and all of the parts are present. This makes me very excited. Tires are here, mounted and balanced, new stickers arrive tomorrow. Oil cooler is in fact working at some level, which is going to be important as the weather this next weekend is going to be brutal. 90+ every day. Brake cooling *should be* addressed on sunday. I will get the Nexen tires stickers mounted up, and the new numbers once weather permits this weekend. It's supposed to rain all weekend here.

I'm getting a tools list organized now for what I may need in case something breaks that I can get cheap and all. Trying to figure out how much of a full send I want to do with work/cost if something happens to come up. As I'm able to repair just about everything on this car with little tools or cost.

Dakota, myself, and another buddy will all be trailering down together on Wednesday. Planning on leaving around 0800, which should land is there around 7-8pm.

I decided to not do the bushings on the car because knowing my luck, something wouldn't come apart easily and would need to be replaced at an increased cost to me....and stress. So the bushings are on hold until the garage is done. Depending on what happens at nats, some of them may not ever be installed if I decide to upgrade classes next year.

I'm excited and a little terrified truth be told

I posted my reaction to he event in the motorsports thread. Here is more of a breakdown on the car itself.

First and foremost, the engine is toast. I had been fighting a vibration under throttle for a while, along with oil leaking out past a new set of valve cover gaskets, no matter what I did. The Air oil separator was kinda of wishful idea it would help, and it didn't.

The last session of the day, the car was pulling well, but just not right. I checked oil in the AOS and saw some fine brass shavings. I thought about trying to preserve the car but everyone told me to get some seat time. I went out, and the engine gave up. Oil temps went from 260-300 in about 15 seconds. I shut the run down the second I saw it get above 280, and the temps kept rising. Oil pressure was appropriate the entire time.

I get back to pits, shut the engine off to let it rest and check oil level and fluids. Everything is like it was before the run. I let it cool, and check oil level again, no change. On start up it clatters pretty good and goes quiet. I drive it down gridlane about a 1/4 mile and it starts getting worse. I turn the car around and tell my findings.

Video at this point it here:
    https://youtu.be/5BCaBCCeZj0

I take the car back to where the trailer is and call it a night.

Load the car up on Sunday afternoon to which it clatters quiet badly.

I have sourced an unknown engine about an hour away, with literally no history. It's only 200$ so at the worst, it's a good core. I could probably rebuild this one to new for around 1200$.

More on this later.

The shocks. God damn do they have shit valving. The sweepers make this car terrible at NCM. Like, I was legitimately scared of the car initially. After running Nate's 330Ci with stock dampers, I know they needed replacement. Currently looking at koni yellows.

Oil cooler was definitely doing work, so I'm happy on that front.

Bushings need to be replaced, still. This will be on the books once the garage is built.

After the weekend was over, I thanked John Hunter and all the SCCA guys. One of them told me if I plan on campaigning the c4 more, I really should get a roll bar. AutoPower makes a race roll bar and a cage also. Roll bar is 700$. Trying to figure how involved I want to get with this thing.

I will be reading over the rules to find out what I can and can't do with the engine. It would be really nice if I could do an LT4 heads and intake. But I don't think I can.

This car has a ton of fun potential. And the off-season just started.

Get it sorted so you can lend it out to your friends on test days...

Bummer about the engine. How many miles on it?

Unfortunately old cars don't always hold up real well to track use unless/until they've been gone over in a fairly big way.

The suspension bushings may also be contributing to the uneasy feeling of the car when loaded up in corners. Probably a good idea to do them with the shocks. Yellows are a super solid choice.

Engine had 170+k of unknown history. I am for real not upset about it.

I have sourced a local - ish engine in Arkansas, 6 hours away.

I will pick it up on Saturday. 137k miles, 300$. Those will give me a core I can rebuild and rotate in.

Is it the same one we sourced while at the track?

Put another way; why are there so many dead Corvette's in Arkansas?

Arkansas draws in things which are already dying.
    -Formerly Stabulator