Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Godson - 1993 Chevrolet Corvette Z07

Me too man, this is going to be awesome.

I ordered a new helmet that is rated SA, because my motorcycle helmet isn't. It's already arrived and I just need to go get it from a buddy.

Oil cooler is installed, need to do some fiddling with it. I'm not running at the 200* thermostatic switch temp. But it is definitely doing some work. Not as much as I would like. But it's working. I just don't want the oil temp pegging 260. If I need I will increase the heat exchanger for a larger one.

Just ordered tires for the event. 275/35r18. Nexen Nfera SUR4G. They have a 150$ contingency for just buying them right now, and a 500$ package for a win. The latter ain't fuckin happening. So at least I get the set for 800$ instead of 1100 for the bridgestones. Next year I'll upgrade to 315 square if I stay in the same class.

Plan tomorrow is to get the brake ducts planned out for installation. Once that is done, I think I'm out of projects until nats.

Well. Shit. I suppose that means I *have* to get new tires too.

I know the Nexens well. I played a small part in their development. Any questions, fire away. The sidewall response is more responsive to tire pressure changes than most tires, so you can really tune feel with pressure provided you have sufficient wheel width and camber (ie, the tire isn't just using up the outside edge in a camber-limited car). They are a lot of fun to drive on.

What pressures cold would you recommend starting at for a 3200lb car?

275/35r18 on 18x10.5

Also, I forgot I had bushings to do on the car as well. Gotta start hustling.

Well matched tire/wheel size. How much camber front and rear, and what does the suspension do with camber when it's compressed?

Currently running -1/-2.5 f/r. I can get the camber curve measured if you would like. I'd be eager it stays relatively true to the static to compression.

I did a little searching. This was the best I could find - a drawing.

http://mobile.web-cars.com/images/ve...utline-2_a.jpg

If it's accurate, I'm picturing the outside front tire losing a bit of camber initially, and as it's further compressed the camber will start to "catch back up" and begin to go more negative again. Whether it ends up at more or less than static camber (measured at ride height) I can't tell from looking at it. Either way, it looks like there won't a huge camber gain when loaded up in a corner, so I'd say at -1 degree front camber you'll want a fair bit of tire pressure. If you can run more front camber, I would.

I know hot tire pressures best - cold gets worked out backwards - so I'd say to try high 30s hot up front and maybe 30 hot in the back. There's much more camber back there to help the tire under lateral load, plus lower pressures help with putting power down coming off a corner in a powerful RWD car.

As always, check for wear after sessions. If you find it's wearing too far down the sidewall, increase pressure. If you find the shoulder isn't getting worn, you can probably run less pressure. This is for outright grip. If tire life is your priority, run higher pressures.

And also as always, tire pressure can be a good handling tool on the day if the rest of the suspension isn't doing what you want. For example, if the car's understeering too much and your work to optimize front pressures isn't helping, you can induce the car to be more 'free' by raising rear pressure.

With that info, I figure 36-26 cold to start, check temps/wear after, and adjust to feel and wear.

Also, most I can probably net is -1 on front without offset bushings, I'll need to check the rules to see what I can do, but I don't think I have much options in the sport classing.

Sidenote, Russ found these.

PDF with measurements from a 95, which is damned near identical to mine.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-geometry.html

Also a cad diagram of what I have to work with here, but simplified.

https://www.3dcontentcentral.com/par...&catalogid=171

My plan for this year is to get more comfortable with the car, then start working towards something that can be competitive, or moving on to something else/building it.

Quite interesting. The PDF seems to look similar to the drawing I posted above. The CAD model shows a different angle for the LCAs and UCAs and a different relationship between the two. The CAD model suggests a healthy dose of camber gain during compression. The other two models don't, if I'm reading them right. However the line drawing I posted only has one wishbone of the UCA visible (now that I know from the other sources that the UCA inboard mounting points are at quite an angle), and I can't be sure if it's the front or rear portion.

Best way to be sure is to remove the spring and disconnect the sway bar, then jack up that corner and watch how the camber changes through the suspension travel.