Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: ALERT! Venturi 3D - My New 3D Printer Company Launching Soon!!

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Wow, you’ve been busy!

Looks like you’re selling not just a printer, but an ecosystem for printing a whole heap of things that companies or rights holders might want to get on board with.

Couple of questions:

Can it still be used to print things of your own design, for example if a small company was to invest in one and use it for prototyping?

And what will the cost of raw materials be like, and how long do you expect they’ll last before needing to be replenished?

Yes, it's fully open source, open software (meaning you can use any slicer) and open filament.

Raw materials like filament will be competitively priced, so PLA/ABS/PETG will be around $20 US per 1KG spool, and those usually last a good 20-30 small to medium sized prints. Other materials can be more expensive, but we're not going to price gouge anyone, it will be just a few percent above retail (to cover the cost of setting up RFID or QR code and enclosed filament spools)

Wait, I could have 3D printed the radio control car frames I was designing as a kid? Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    Wait, I could have 3D printed the radio control car frames I was designing as a kid? Interesting...
    Yes, you could.

There's also an "OpenRC F1" project that's been going on for a while:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1193309

I love the idea of being able to 3D print little bits and pieces of whatever (cars, furniture, etc.) that you can't get replacements for unless you buy larger modules. For example, the BRZ's side markers are held on with these unique little clips that can't be ordered. You have to replace the whole light. Not sure if you can actually print them, but you get the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    I love the idea of being able to 3D print little bits and pieces of whatever (cars, furniture, etc.) that you can't get replacements for unless you buy larger modules. For example, the BRZ's side markers are held on with these unique little clips that can't be ordered. You have to replace the whole light. Not sure if you can actually print them, but you get the point.
    I'm sure they could probably be printed. The cool thing is that almost any shape can be made, it's just a question of making it in CAD and needing support structures while printing (like long overhangs will need supports to hold them up during printing). Then deciding what are the best materials properties to print in (heat resistance, etc.)

For folks just wish to replicate something, probably also need a 3D scanner!

I think most people probably don't need a printer at home. Only for rapid prototyping companies that need to iterate components need to have a printer close by... for most of us amateurs, I think it'd be cool if we could simply take multiple angle shots of an object... specify how big we want it and what kind of color material we want... and then just have it mailed to us.

Do you think you can create an app for that MR2?

It seems that you'd like to be a hardware store but your brochure points towards a service consept.

Open source distributed manufacturing network would be nice.
    Like send a design and manufacturers near you will contact.

ps.
    I once tried to order few flip doors for "cold swap" HDD docking stations.
    Minimum shipment was 1 TEU.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    For folks just wish to replicate something, probably also need a 3D scanner!

I think most people probably don't need a printer at home. Only for rapid prototyping companies that need to iterate components need to have a printer close by... for most of us amateurs, I think it'd be cool if we could simply take multiple angle shots of an object... specify how big we want it and what kind of color material we want... and then just have it mailed to us.

Do you think you can create an app for that MR2?
    In 1980, most people didn't need a PC at home either.

The type of app you're looking for is photogrammetry and it's already available on several platforms. Autodesk's 123D Catch was one of them, but I think they stopped offering it.

3D scanning is good, but has a long way to go as it can only capture exterior dimensions, no interior dimensions and can be very tricky and time consuming.

Anyway, I think importing physical things into the digital world is an important part of the ecosystem.

Most people cannot do CAD...

If some guy wants to replicate a part he can't buy anywhere else, it'd be nice if he could just snap some pictures of it or scan it into the bit size information, preferably using his phone or something easy to use... and he can check the 'scanned' product on a screen to check it and be able to perhaps tell the app to smooth out this region or that to make sure the final product is the one that he wants and is also printable. And his part can become part of your library without you having to do anything!

If 3D printers are equivalent to a PC, then for now, it's lacking a user friendly input device. Whether a mouse or multi-touch screen or whatever.

Also, considering printing pictures... yes we have fancy injets that can print fancy pictures now, but cost per page would not be cheaper than if you were to order prints online. Whatever a home printer can do, surely somebody else will be able to do it better and cheaper online. So like I said, unless you have a need for rapid turn around, it won't make sense to purchase your own printer I don't think...

Unless you have created an i-printer 3 that everyone just can't wait but line up to pre-order from you!

Anyway, don't mean to rain on your parade, but since you thought about a complete eco-system, just offering you some ideas of what you can possibly do(and as a consumer, what I'd like to see). Printer/Hardware really shouldn't be your core business.... unless your product is just so much fancier and better and greener like Tesla cars or much cheaper like SpaceX rockets.

If there are already lots of folks selling printers, you'll need a better ecosystem to out sell the other folks. That's how apple did it with their mp3 players and phones.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; February 21st, 2018 at 11:03 AM.

It's fine, every opinion counts, even yours

If 3D printers are equivalent to a PC, then for now, it's lacking a user friendly input device. Whether a mouse or multi-touch screen or whatever.
    Well that's part of the plan, I didn't show off the interface yet, but we ARE going to have a much better interface than what 3D printers currently have (Typically just a 3 or 4 line monochrome LCD panel). Ours is basically a web-based interface on an android tablet, with full 360 degree model views and you can change the colors on the fly (it will then compare to ensure you have the correct color/material loaded)

Honestly, most 3D printing service companies take a while to ship as well. I've waited 1-2 weeks for orders from Shapeways and 3D hubs (When they didn't screw up my order and send it to print from North Dakota instead of locally).

Our printer is much better than any other printer currently on the market, especially for the price point. There are NO other 4 color/4 material printers on the market that are fully assembled. The closest is the Prusa i3 that comes fully assembled with an add-on multi-material Kit you have to build yourself, and the total price for that would be $1,350....ours is $999 early bird with $1,299 retail

Theirs

Ours

Attached Images Attached Images