Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a HD

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Recommend me a HD

With all the videos I am filming, my 2TB Seagate Barracuda hard drive is filling up fast. Please recommend me a new internal desktop hard drive. Reliability is more important to me than price. My desktop is about six years old.

Administrator
    I'm pretty sure the drives from the normal name manufacturers are all just fine - Seagate, Western Digital, Toshiba. They're also dirt cheap at this point, you can get 4TB drives for around $100 if you're not that worried about speed (which I'd imagine you aren't for video stuff, you don't need a ton of throughput for that).

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-...rates-q3-2017/

Backblaze fairly regularly posts about their hdd reliability findings, if that helps.
    Last edited by Jason; March 1st, 2018 at 03:38 PM.

I'm sure I'm the exception and not the rule but I've yet (and I just jinxed myself I'm sure) to have a HDD failure in any of my PC builds. I've only ever bought WD black models aside from an original 150GB WD Raptor, which is still doing just fine after 12 years or so as one of my game drives...

4TB Seagate Barracuda ordered.

Sho' 'nuff, my 2TB WD Black just died for some unknown reason. It was also rather puzzling as the 1TB (which I bought first) is still fine, touch wod. But it was OK as I managed to get all of the important stuff off it and onto my 4TB WD Black. Now it's time to get another 4TB WD Black.

After my last PC died, its HD was put in my current machine. The old HD worked for a few years after the transfer, but it eventually stopped working. It's still currently in my PC case, but not connected. The new HD should arrive today. This will be a good time to give the box a good cleaning.

Woo-hoo! Up and running. My CPU heat-sink was filthy.

It is taking many hours to back up 1.5TB to the new drive.

Administrator
    You might want to look into an external USB3 drive. They're not painfully slow and you can get 5+TB for a pittance (like $150 for Seagate8TB).