Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford Rolls out online shopping

Ford Rolls out online shopping

https://amp.clickondetroit.com/autom...ng-in-michigan

"If you're tired of going to the dealership, Ford has some great news for you.

The Dearborn-based automaker announced Monday the plan to roll out online car-buying in the Midwest with the goal of rolling it out nationwide by the end of 2018.

“Our customers are busy people, whether with daily work demands or spending time with their families. Quality time is scarce and downtime is even more so,” said Mark LaNeve, vice president, U.S. Marketing, Sales and Service. “Ready.Shop.Go. allows them to find the perfect vehicle online, spend significantly less time at the dealership and drive away with their new ride sooner.”

Launching in several Midwestern states this month ahead of becoming available throughout the country by the end of 2018, Ready.Shop.Go. offers:

Pricing transparency – participating dealers set vehicle pricing, including taxes and fees
    Personalized incentives
    Finance and lease options
    Consumer promise honoring quoted deal for 48 hours (subject to vehicle availability)
    Pricing comparison - review actual prices with the Kelley Blue Book® Price Advisor and Trade-In Values
    Options for scheduling test drives
    Online credit application process through Ford Credit
    Ability to save a deal and return later to complete the process
    Customer selects preferred method of contact by dealership
    Assignment of single point of contact on the dealer end to ensure the experience is well managed for the customer throughout the process
    Future iterations of Ready.Shop.Go. will include customizable purchase and lease options powered by AutoFi, a fintech company in which Ford Motor Credit Company has invested. Customers also will be able to remotely review and digitally execute contracts with Ford Credit in the future.

“As we worked with our dealers to develop Ready.Shop.Go., it was important to make sure the experience benefited both our customers and our dealers,” said LaNeve “This experience delivers the functionality and flexibility customers need to select a vehicle at their preferred dealership, then apply for financing before ever stepping into a showroom, saving both customers and dealers valuable time.”

---

This will be interesting to see unfold.

Subject to vehicle availability is what the dealers will try to take advantage of. They'll get you in on a deal for one car, say it's not available, and then start the process over with their normal methods with whatever they need to get off the lot.

That prediction is based on how they've acted with TrueCar and similar services, hopefully I'm wrong.

I'm willing to bet Ford will suggest against those tactics. Judging by the last paragraph on how you choose a vehicle from their lot.

That being said, people are people and what you are talking will happen at some places.

Aight, imma let you finish, but first...

'significantly less time at the dealer'

So, still at the dealer, then?

Feels like Ford has developed their own 'TrueCar' platform to sell dealer inventory as this operates almost exactly like my credit union car buying service (a skinned TrueCar experience).

I'll be interested when I can login, buy a car, have the keys overnighted to me and then go pick it up without talking to someone (or even delivered).

On mobile, so I can't edit posts.

The thing I'm curious about, is how are the salespersons getting credit with the online side. I'd doubt they would get paid for the delivery. That's what's intriguing to me.

I'll be happy to admit that I'm probably in the minority of people that want a zero touch dealership experience, so I'll share what new car 'online car shopping' should really look like to me.

Logon to BMWUSA.com or whatever brand.
    Create the build sheet I want, this capability has been on manufacturer websites for years.
    Pay for it, through their financing or bank wire.
    They build my car and ship it to BMWUSA in Spartanburg.
    I take factory delivery (similar to the NCM Corvette delivery).
    If I don't want to go to SC to get my car it should be shipped to my house or, at least, the local dealer.

It's bonkers that this isn't a thing yet. The Ford plan is just an inventory management front end that users can operate. You still can't go and spec out the Ford you want, you have to hope a local dealer has one in stock exactly the way you like it, and then you still have to go to the dealer to compete the transaction (beyond just picking it up). That's crazy in 2018.

Agreed. I should be able to buy a car online like a buy a pair of shoes or whatever. I purchase online and have it delivered to my door without having to talk to anyone.

We'd have to get rid of the laws that prevent manufacturers from selling directly to consumers.

I just want to log in, build a car, pay a price (or agree to a loan) and have it delivered to my home. After my last dealer experience, I never want to buy a car from a dealership again.

I really wish my boss was reading this thread. He's owns the dealership where I work and is also the president of the association of new car dealers in Ontario. He's a firm believer in customer service trumping everything else and at first I believed him. But now after putting 6 years in at 2 different dealerships and having close to 20 years of retail experience in general I believe that customer service doesn't matter at all. That's why places like McDonalds, Wal-Mart and Amazon are so successful...its not about customer service its about the lowest price.