Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: No Man's Sky

No Man's Sky

Apologies if there is already a thread on this somewhere, but a search didn't turn up anything. I'm afraid to start playing this, because I have a job and I would like to keep it.

"A science-fiction game set in an infinite procedurally-generated galaxy." Which my son tells me means there are billions of planets in the game, each with unique environments and native creatures.

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/
    Your license plates. GIVE THEM TO ME
    plates | pints | plaid on YT: https://www.youtube.com/@platespintsplaid

Yeah, I'm excited. Sounds like fun

Pre-ordered and hoping it gets Oculus support soon.

Junior Potato
    Colour me interested, but not engrossingly so.

The first barrier is the price. I'm like a lot of people in thinking that this was a nice casual game you play for a while bereaved there with a nice casual game price, like $20-$30 or thereabouts (in the Journey or Rocket League ballpark). But in the months following its first showing it has expanded into a full-price game but I don't think it's got full-price content yet. It may just be a skewed perception, however.

My second barrier is that the lack of boba-fide space physics for a game set in space will just piss me off. Why can we not have realistically sized solar systems and a realistically shaped galaxy? Huh? I'd like a Kerbal-lite, with good orbital mechanics coupled with a slick seat-of-the-pants navigation system. But that's just my opinion, which I am sure will not detract from anyone else's enjoyment of the game at all.

I'm kind of interested but I still have no idea what you actually do. That and the price means I'm out, for now.

Pre-ordered the Limited Edition and I'm even purchasing a PS4 for this. I've been following this game since 2013 and it really has sunk it's teeth into me... imagining the vast possibilities that this experience will provide. It's not even YMMV.... it's YMWDV.

If you are really interested in "what you actually do"... I suggest checking out this in depth synopsis on Reddit. There is a lot there. https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTh...her_questions/

Also, IGN has providing new videos and articles recently giving out more information. Here is a vid showing some of the planet diversity that you could encounter.

If you care, you may want to wait for the new PS4 announcement... supposedly getting a big boost in power.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatScawt View Post
    If you care, you may want to wait for the new PS4 announcement... supposedly getting a big boost in power.
    I heard about the new PS4... but I'm not sure if I want to wait. I'm figuring when they were developing this title for so long... the original PS4 was the spec that they were aiming for. Sometimes upping the system can cause unintentional results. /paranoia

That said, here's a new vid that recently came up talking about their art direction and why it isn't using Kerbel-level of realism.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGeneral View Post
    I'm figuring when they were developing this title for so long... the original PS4 was the spec that they were aiming for. Sometimes upping the system can cause unintentional results. /paranoia
    Simply as a counterpoint, the new system is, from what I understand, the same format but with more "horsepower," enough to properly support VR and 4K. I feel like VR will greatly improve No Man's Sky, and the openness of the game could lead to years of gameplay and exploration and therefore might overlap with your future purchase of a 4KTV.

This is not me suggesting you purchase the PS4K, just want to make sure you have a broad picture to look at before making such a large purchase for such a narrow need. #boughtanxboxforForza6
    Get that weak shit off my track

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    #boughtanxboxforForza6
    I bought a PS4 for GTA V, which I already owned on PS3.