Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of getting a dog

Thinking of getting a dog

My almost 12-year-old daughter wants a dog. She’s wanted a dog forever. Now she’s serious. She REALLY wants a dog, and I feel myself caving.

I really don’t want one. It’s too much responsibility. I like low maintenance pets like fish. Daughter, wife and son have aligned against me and I fear I may lose.

I’ve grown up hating dogs, but have warmed up to them in recent years. Still, not so much that I want one in the house.

It’s not an easy decision. I want her to be happy but I sense she may not fully understand the responsibility that comes with it. I may put my foot down and say no.

Still 50/50.

Any dog owners here that can convince me to open my heart to a...mutt?

Junior Potato
    I’m not a dog owner, but an owner of two cats.

Yeah it’s not as much responsibility as owning a dog, you can leave them at home all day, come home from work, clean up their shit and give them a bit of food, and they’ll still love you.

Dogs require more attention, and I think that’s where your apprehensions might lie. I definitely 100% support people getting a dog, as long as you have the space and the means to keep it healthy and happy, which I’m sure you do. The big hurdle will be the giving of attention.

And tell you what, it’s probably more of a whole family thing than a “It’s her responsibility” thing, because your attitude towards it will affect how it behaves. But I think once all of you settle into a routine then it will become easier, and you’ll gain something worth more than money, and that’s the undying love from your daughter, as well as from the new family member you bring into your home. Pets are awesome!

Another thing: I strongly urge you to visit a shelter and pick up a homeless puppy and give it a forever home. I’ve never visited a shelter because I’m pretty sure I’d never walk out of there empty-handed (my two cats are hand-me-downs, but from a friend who couldn’t keep them). Those places are like kryptonite for animal lovers

Yes!

I’m also a cat owner only but I really can’t think of a reason why you should not have a pet...

Okay, maybe a couple.... 1) if you or anyone in your family is allergic to them or 2) you travel a lot.

I seriously believe dog is god in reverse. One loves unconditionally from heaven above and the other loves unconditionally from down below on earth. You won’t regret having a relationship with a dog.

Do not get a dog unless you are all-in. I think you need to put your foot down here.

I'm generally aligned with Cam here- but if your daughter, wife, and son are all in on getting a dog, I'm guessing you'll end up having no choice sooner or later. The upside of that is that there will be 3 other people to take on more of the responsibilities that a dog entails, but you will end up doing at least some of the work no matter how big a game the rest of your family talks.
    If you think that's the case, then I would try to exercise some control over the process and looking for a dog that you'll be able to live with. Number one, don't go to a breeder or get a purebred - They cost real money that way, and there are too many in shelters that need homes. I'd also suggest trying to get a smaller dog if possible - I've owned big (75lb greyhound), medium (35lb spaniel), and small (11 lb terrier), and the smaller ones are easier to deal with for logistical reasons - they need less food and water, can be happier with a smaller yard, take up less space around the house, and frankly produce much less poop.
    Go to as many shelters or adoption events as possible and try not to get convinced to take home a dog you don't like, even if the wife and kids do. If they're all three gung-ho about getting a dog, they're going to have very open standards as far as what dog they want; Since you're not on-board with that mindset, you thinking that a specific dog is at least "Okay," or better at first blush is really important to keep you from growing to resent it every time you have to step around it to get to the kitchen. Further, I'd recommend something fully-grown or nearly so. Dogs have individual personalities but most puppies are pretty much the same, plus you can hopefully get one that has at least a little training already done (no peeing in the house, no jumping on people, etc.) Plus, then you'll know how big its likely to get - I have some friends who adopted a puppy having been told that both of its parents were in the 30-40 lb range, and it ended up as about 110 lbs.

Good luck
    20180927_193305.jpgIMG_20160921_084218.jpg
    -Formerly Stabulator

I'm with Cam. If you resent the dog now it's not getting a fair chance from the start.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Dogs are cool. Dogs are needy. You're in a corner. I'm 80% with Cam.

So why don't you, alone, go to a shelter and *talk* to the person there, don't look at the puppies, talk to the guys and gals. A lot is loss in electronic text, and those gals have a lot of experience with good and bad dog owners, they'll be reading all your reactions.
    acket.

I'm in agreement with Cam. If you aren't all in, then there is no reason to cave. Plenty of parents say no to their children, who later on in life become adults and get a dog when it's their full responsibility.

We love our doggo. Best 10 dollars we spent at a kill shelter in North Carolina. She's work though. Pet sitters as she is too anxiety filled for the kennel, everytime we move we have to buy a house that fits her needs as well, and she requires lots of love and attention.

So really put some thought before you do it just to please your daughter.

I say it all depends on your situation. Have land and free time? A dog might be a fine addition to your family. They say dogs make you healthier because they make you get outside and walk, run, and play more than you might otherwise. I usually agree with the saying that "humans don't deserve dogs".

But, I live in densely populated suburbs and work in the city and I see people with dogs in situations in which I'd never have a dog.

My parents had large dogs, mostly Labrador Retrievers and only ever one at a time. While they did take the dogs on walks, they also lived in areas with lots of land and could just let the dog outside on its own a lot of the time to run around in the woods and fields. Dogs are great in such relatively low-maintenance situations.

However, now I live on a small lot in a sea of rooftops. Unless I were to load my dog in a car and drive it somewhere, the dog could never run free. And I'd have to carry around a plastic bag to pick up what dogs leave behind...not just once in a while, but a couple times every damn day. No thanks.

Good luck. I'm in your situation myself - wife and two kids would like a dog, but they aren't pressing the issue very often, thankfully. I say let sleeping dogs lie.
    Last edited by George; May 16th, 2019 at 08:58 AM.

Another Cam agreer here.

My workmate got nagged into getting a dog by his wife. They had a dog for less than a year, and then they had to rehome it. He resented it every minute of every day so far as I can tell.

It was a big dog too, so came with extra levels of mayhem. Especially as both he and his wife worked, which meant bored large dog destroying things, and escaping repeatedly.