Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Sad little update

A Sad little update

Despite the title, nothing is wrong. It just seemed like the right thing to call this.

Sorry I kinda disappeared from here except for very random and sporadic posting, which I'm sure is puzzling in its own right. I have no idea why I grew away from this place. My best guess is conventional social media just started filling the void this forum once did for me. I can't remember what all I have or haven't said on here, so I'll just hit the highlights.

I still work for Ford. For a while there, from I think around 2016 to 2021, I wrote most of the dealer service bulletins for the Mustang. That was kind of cool but it was kind of a mess of a job actually. I got to go to the Mustang plant a few days a week for a while. It's sort of cool the first few times, but then you just wish everything didn't smell like fresh paint and pinch welded metal. Everything in the office there would collect a fine layer of black soot on it because they welded the sheetmetal together in the space across the hallway. While anyone is basically allowed to walk out to the assembly line any time, you really don't want to. Too many moving parts happening all at once, and almost no spare space to stand where you aren't in the way.

Now I'm working in a strange little subgroup of the vehicle recall department. I kind of like it. Helping keep people safe is nice. But this group will probably complete our task and be disbanded in the next year or so, so I'll move onto something else in Ford.

Enough about work though. My big thing is photography and has been since around 2016. I take photos of everything, people, scenery, whatever. I have gone to tons of punk shows and events in Detroit since 2014, and I've driven (almost) across the country four times since 2017, which culminated in spending about a month and a half in Arizona last winter. I have around half a million photos saved from when I got really into photography, until now. I also have a ginormous 44" large format printer in my living room, so that's fun. I have had a few photos in juried photography shows in Detroit, and one won first prize in a show this past spring.

On the car front, I still have the Lotus. Not sure it fits my lifestyle anymore, which is decidedly less opulent and more punk, but I can't get rid of that thing. I drive it here and there during the summer. But that is not a car to take into Detroit for many reasons. I still have my 1996 Miata that I've had since 2004. I just registered it as a historic vehicle this year. The 2008 Mercury Milan is still chugging along with just over 200,000mi on it. It will probably rust away before it mechanically breaks down. I have posted elsewhere about my 2011 Ford Transit Connect I made into a camper van. That's good, I just wish I had gotten a lower mile van to put so much work into. Lastly I have a 2007 Miata retractable hardtop that used to be my parents' but I bought it from my mom because she wanted to sell it but neither of us wanted to see it go. It mostly sits in her garage still. It's incredibly well preserved. It has around 40,000mi on it, and has barely even seen rain.

Very recent interpersonal events have raised the remote and distant, but still present possibility that I might someday move to Poland in the very distant future. These are all very recent developments, and who knows, the whole thing might fall apart before that ever comes close to happening. But please convince me that Europe is nice, and tell me how I can get my Lotus into the country.

Take care.

Glad to hear that the title doesn't match the content.

I've seen a few of your pictures. Congrats on the award!

I haven't been posting much on either here or social media. It just hasn't felt worth it.
    But reading your post makes me realize how much I enjoy talking with everyone here. Even if we're not *close friends, or it seems mundane. It's still nice to hear what is going on with people that I have known for over 20 years. Maybe I should post more updates about myself (and family) as well.

Thanks for posting this.

What a scary thread title, yeah, glad it's not literal!

Kinda figured you have bunch of things that you're tinkering with. Really should've named yourself busy little man!

Anyway, only been to Europe once on a Mediterranean cruise. I really like the cities I visited there. Almost was able to visit the northern part of the Europe but that trip was cancelled by the pandemic... Anyway, if I could afford it, I certainly wouldn't mind living in Europe. However, Poland seems a bit close to Russia, right? Unless if Putin dies or steps down, I think I'd be a bit scared to move to Poland... plus, my impression of Europe was all based on recollections prior to the Russian invasion. Now that Europeans can't rely on cheap Russian oil/gas, these things might be super expensive or perhaps not even available? I suppose depends on why you're moving there... if you feel like you have a 'sad little mission' to carry out there, then go for it! If you're hoping to live la vida loca over there, then probably not the greatest of ideas...

Good to hear you are doing well. I am very happy to hear you are showing your work and winning award(s)! That’s awesome! You have a place to stay in Columbia if your travels take you through SC. The same goes for any of my friends here.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    I hope you go out wearing a purple vest and no shirt, you know, so that people are clear that You Livin' Tha Good Life, Man.
    acket.

Europe is pleasant, the food in Poland is good and cheap, and LHD Lotuses are welcome there.

Administrator
    I have not been to Poland, but the parts of Europe I've been to (Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, France, Spain, Italy) have all been quite nice. Have more than once debated just packing it up and moving there, especially now that I'm working remotely all the time.

Well, technically I've been to two other countries - Vatican City and Monaco. I'd steer clear of both.

HAPPY TO HEAR YOU ARE OK!!!

Junior Potato
    It's cool how we all share the same interests bu they also have great differences from one person to another. A bunch of us are into photography and we're all into cars in one way or another.

Your collection of vehicles is great. A few enthusiast cars and a few decidedly un-enthusiast cars! You know an enthusiast by the way they talk about their boring cars like it's an extension of their personality.

Cool stuff, SLM.

I can't find the thread right now, but didn't you also have a ratty old pickup truck? I seem to remember laughing at how beat it looked and joking it would make a great truck to dangerously overload with pallets.

Quote Originally Posted by 21Kid
    But reading your post makes me realize how much I enjoy talking with everyone here. Even if we're not *close friends, or it seems mundane. It's still nice to hear what is going on with people that I have known for over 20 years.
    Yup, especially for those of us not on FB or the Twitter or whatever the Hot New Thing is. I don't know anyone else online half as well as you guys.