Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Food for thought

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Duly noted.
    acket.

Imma let you finish, but arab-world delights are the shizzle.

Sugar, all sorts of nuts and diary and grains? sign me up!
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    Maybe it is for induction shills and those who have never experienced the delights of properly cooked food in a real wok over a proper gas fire. Both sorts of people must lead empty, meaningless lives and/or have no concept of what is real food. They are probably the losers who voted German and American cuisine in o the top 10 on that shitty clickbait tasteatlas website. I pity them. I really do. Why are they even alive when they might as well be dead?

Some guy said the other day that the problem with English* culinary taste was that their chefs always looked up to French chefs and were trained in French kitchens. And the problem with that was trying to apply those methods and skills to dishes from parts of the world to which they didn't make any sense. And then, because of the impact of English culture on the western world, mostly in the mid 20th century, their (bad) taste spread.

I always take guacamole as an example, it's just mashed avocado with some lime, salt and chopped cilantro for seasoning. That's it. No need to make it a hot sauce, it is not, it should naturally be on the sweet side, because, well, it comes from a fruit, and the lime and salt are there to counteract. But when people go posh on it, they make a mess. They add all sorts of spices and garnishes, because they think they're making it fancy.

So yes, Slayer-man, people should learn to enjoy the flavors of life for what they are, not for what some web-entrepreneur tells them they are.

_________
    * I'm fairly confident he didn't say British.
    acket.

I want to learn how to cook. It’s long overdue for me. I can make basic food like hotdogs and omlets and stuff, but this year I want to find a proper cooking class and learn to cook meals. I’m so heavily reliant on my wife for meals. She’s a great cook.

Administrator
    Not sure if you have something similar to Blue Apron that'll deliver to Toronto, but if you do they're a good way to get started cooking, and the meals are genuinely good.

We have HelloFresh here, but no Blue Apron. It’s an interesting concept, I’ll have to give it a try.

Mario my man, I think one of the issues with that website is just lack of experience in the voting base. It makes "voting" on the "best cuisine" (always a questionable exercise anyway) even more of a joke.

The point on English taste is interesting. English (and in deed other) food at restaurants in England or even supermarkets has I think generally, improved a lot since I was there in the late 90s. The same goes for a lot of of other cultures' food outside of their birthplace. I think globalisation and sharing of ideas and experiences has helped.

I agree with you on guacamole, although I must confess I rarely eat it. Maybe once or twice a year.
    Last edited by Yw-slayer; January 18th, 2023 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sandydandy View Post
    We have HelloFresh here, but no Blue Apron. It’s an interesting concept, I’ll have to give it a try.
    We gave Hello Fresh a try when we 1st moved to Seattle while living in an empty house. Our furniture and stuffs came weeks after we arrived with our RV...

Anyway, yeah, after getting some cheap pots and pans from Walmart, we're ready to cook! My 10 yr old daughter and I had fun making dinners using hello fresh. It was also super convenient with all ingredients included. So it should be a fun learning experience for you!

We ended the subscription because after all the initial discounts were gone, it became kinda pricey. Might as well get our own ingredients!

Back when I delivered to Chili's they would always get "salsa tomatoes" to make their salsa out of. Salsa tomatoes are called that for a reason(not for their taste, but because their quality is so shit(e) the only thing they're good for is mashing into salsa.

Over the past year I have finally embraced cooking. I use a crock pot for making spaghetti and chili. I don't use ground beef but instead use different types of sausage. With chili it's always two cans of beans to a lb. of meat. I don't use any particular type of bean(it could be anything from chili beans to northerns to garbanzos to refritos) and to change it up I add in a whole onion, garlic paste or a shallot. With the spaghetti I add in a can of mushrooms(either whole or sliced, it doesn't matter) and use a variety of sauces. I haven't been disappointed yet.
    I've also found a thing that works for me with beef, I'll buy a cheap piece of beef and add a can of potatoes(sliced, diced or whole) and a can of mushrooms(sliced or whole, et. al.). Cook it in the oven at 325F for a few hours and the meat is always tender.

Sounds dope, rich.