Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Food for thought

Looks like some kind of southeast Asian curry?

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Mexican "peanut-ed".

can be made with either chicken or, like the picture, with pork.
    acket.

Looks like some sort of Thai food rather than Mexicanů

I've actually wondered a lot about connections you see between southeast Asian and Mexican food. A lot of cilantro, a lot of complex sauces, lots of chiles...they're surprisingly similar. A mole and a curry aren't all that different. I know Thor Heyerdahl spent a lot of time trying to prove that migration between Africa and South America was possible long before we thought it was, I still think there may have been more of that than we know between Asia and Central America.

Up until recently, I used to call my wife a "good cook." I have come to the realization that she has moved beyond that. She is a chef. She can look in the cupboards, fridge and garden, see what we have available, and improvise something that is surprisingly tasty. She enjoys making meals and is often trying something new. She has learned by the plethora of cookbooks we have here, and by watching many seasons of chef TV shows. The last several times we ate at a sit-down restaurant (before COVID) it was underwhelming, because she can make something better at home. I am proud of her. She is very multi-talented.

I grade her meals with an A to F scale, just like she grades her students. Most of the time, it's A or B, but she's made a few Cs and Fs. The first time I gave her a B, she was disappointed. I had to remind her, just like she tells her students, that B is not a fail. I had to adjust my scale for grading, because it was a low bar to meet at first. Over time, I have come to expect a certain level of taste and presentation. I had to set the bar higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I've actually wondered a lot about connections you see between southeast Asian and Mexican food. A lot of cilantro, a lot of complex sauces, lots of chiles...they're surprisingly similar. A mole and a curry aren't all that different. I know Thor Heyerdahl spent a lot of time trying to prove that migration between Africa and South America was possible long before we thought it was, I still think there may have been more of that than we know between Asia and Central America.
    I can see some similarities but (and it may be because I haven't really ever had much, if any, really good and authentic Mexican food?) I don't really like Mexican food but Iove most Asian food. To me, the common ground is the use of jalapenos, which are great.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Yeah, well Columbus was a christian fundamentalist that wanted to hit the spices jackpot only to fund a new crusade, So the age of discovery was always about high-value foodstuffs.

And there was also La Nao de China which ran for 250 years. And because people like the good life so much, commerce tends to bring people together.
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    I grade her meals with an A to F scale, just like she grades her students.
    You are a very brave man.

I was gonna say..., that scale if fine, but wow CAM, you actually dished out a few C's and F's? May I ask what happened afterwards?

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    You are a very brave man.
    Just imagine when someday he has to tell her she's being held back a year...