Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Food for thought

Administrator
    https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...ce-recipe.html

Only difference for me is that I generally find the skin browns faster than six minutes, so keep an eye on that, and then they often take a little longer then 12 minutes to cook in the oven, it's usually like 14-16 for me. Other than that, I do the recipe as designed, and then usually make something like asparagus or shishito peppers on the side.

Oh, and I can never find airline chicken breasts, and usually I can only find skin on with bone in too, but that's just meant I've had a good bit of practice taking the bones out, it's not too hard.

Looks tasty. I'll have to make it soon. Thank you for sharing. I'm trying these potatoes tomorrow with dinner for a change of pace.
    20180423_142102.jpg

Administrator
    I'm always a sucker for a good potato.

The potatoes turned out good, but I would add more salt and maybe garlic next time to up the favor.

Administrator
    One thing we've recently learned about garlic - the more you can bust up the cells, the more of that garlic flavor comes out. If you have a microplane/zester, using that on garlic makes things intensely garlicky with significantly less garlic. We used to use like 5-6 cloves in one recipe, and now use one and it tastes significantly garlickier (is that a word?) than it used to.

Yes, I do that now, like make a paste instead of leaving it minced. It adds more favor, but it wasn't enough for the potatoes this time around. I have a crab bisque I want to try next but this weekend is a tad busy.

Made this for dinner tonight. I know a meals good when Nathan says to make it again. Enjoy.
    20180517_184322.jpg

I got home at midnight after my hockey game and stood in the kitchen eating more of it out of the big bowl.

Administrator
    I'm always a sucker for coconut milk.

Speaking of, not sure if this thread is solely for things made/used at home or also includes things like restaurants, but before I get told that it can't I'm throwing this one out.

Saw a northern Thai restaurant recommended by a bunch of critics, and Anthony Bourdain called it the best Thai in the US, so on our vacation we made a stop in Las Vegas to go to Lotus of Siam.

There was no anticipointment. The Tom Kah Kai was a coconut milk soup with thinly sliced chicken, straw mushrooms, galanga, lemon grass, and lime juice and it was one of the most ridiculously flavorful things I've had in my life. The Koong Char Num Plar was raw shrimp that had been marinated in fish sauce, then served with a spicy and sour fish sauce, mint leaves, sliced garlic and chili paste. It may have been one of the best dishes I've had - if you're squeamish about raw shrimp, this would be the dish to try to get past that for.

So, yeah, if you find yourself in Vegas, it's worth a trip to Lotus of Siam. It's not super cheap but it's also not outrageously expensive, though you will want to get a reservation as it was crazy packed on a Tuesday evening. We'd been hearing amazing things about it for at least 6 years now and it lived up to the hype.

We just recently went to one of the best Thai places here in Pittsburgh (Nicky's on Mt. Nebo). If you're ever out our way we'll take you. One of the few meals I've had where everything that was brought to the table; drinks, apps, food, etc. was all done perfectly.