Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Food for thought

It's hard for her to get upset with me when I'm literally spitting a mouthful of food into the Insinkerator.

The dramatic comedic effect! So clever...

Anyway, so lucky to have a smart wife who's also an amazing chef!

Nothing to be ashamed of or feel judged about - I'm a pretty good cook and my wife is very, very good, but sometimes there's a complete failure. Happens to the best of us, especially when you're sort of free-styling.
    "Okay, turns out that this flavor and this flavor do not combine with this texture. We'll know better next time."
    -Formerly Stabulator

Administrator
    I can comfortably say that while both Michele and I are open to that feedback and generally agree where we've gone wrong on dishes that have gone wrong, I'm pretty sure either of us giving the other a letter grade would result in a good spatula thwacking.

I still can't imagine Cam acting like Gordon Ramsay.

In our house, the kids are the critics. Things they like tend to go into regular rotation and more "sophisticated" recipes that my wife and I might make to impress each other don't get made as often.

Some current favorites in our house:

Cheesy Chicken Nachos - basically crock pot chicken & salsa in those "scoops" tortilla chips with diced roma tomatoes, sometimes other veggies, and cheese sprinkled on top. We make it for family movie night some Saturdays when the chicken can slowly cook all day while we're mostly home.

Tater Tot Casserole. We have two variants. One has ground beef or ground turkey as the protein and the other has chicken (usually a grocery store rotisserie chicken that I take all the meat from) and green chile sauce. Both have the same sauteed onions, garlic, and bell pepper mix I put in most of my "signature" dishes. This all started because we had a bag of tater tots in the freezer for long time. One day I wondered if I could put them in a casserole or something. I quickly discovered that the internet has more recipes for casseroles involving frozen potatoes than just about anything else.

Stuffed jumbo pasta shells - takes forever to prepare but oh so delicious.

Various combinations of chicken, pasta, and broccoli. Kids aren't supposed to like broccoli, but both of ours wolf it down like it's going out of style.

I, too, enjoy making a tater tot casserole.

It also works with bacon or diced ham.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Last thing I made from scratch was butternut squash soup. Most times it's simple dishes, but sometimes I like to prepare a fun new dish.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    What's the better option for storing a week worth of meals?

a) Vacuum sealed bags

b) Glass containers with "vacuum" lids

I used quotation marks on the second option bc i've seen all kinds of systems, some are frankly shady.
    acket.

Administrator
    I'd definitely go with vacuum sealed bags, but I have to admit that owning a vacuum sealer probably does influence my decision there.