Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Food for thought

Lori planted a garden earlier this year. She made a few meals this week with stuff she grew; lettuce, beets and chives. She's been eating the peas as they appear, so no chance of me tasting them. On the way: tomatoes, zucchini, beans, garlic, carrots and probably other things I do not know of. She's been working hard on it. I'm proud of her.

Awesome. We didn't get our garden in last year but are on our way this year. Growing okra for the first time, should be fun.

Administrator
    That's awesome. Ours is pretty limited, we don't have a ton of room. Right now there's tomatoes, jalapenos (which are still not spicy, wtf), thai chilies (which are), rosemary, cilantro, and parsley. It's not nearly enough to keep up with the amount of cooking, but it's always a nice treat to be able to grab some for whatever we're making.

Our lot is on a very steep hill, our backyard has a retaining wall that runs the length of the property. We basically have raised beds that stretch 100ftx3ft. so:

Lettuce
    Spinach
    Sugar snap peas
    Tomatos
    Basil
    Okra
    Cantaloupe
    Squash
    Cucumbers
    Zucchini
    Bell peppers
    Banana peppers
    Mint, Dill

Might be some other beans I am forgetting. I am excited, really fun watching this stuff mature.

Administrator
    So, so jealous, that sounds amazing.

We have never successfully brought up canteloupe but we're going to try again.

I built our box in WI, totally stoked that we have so many here in PA and I didn't have to build them.

I started this thread to talk about all things food related, so share away.

We also planted arugula this year. As Nathan said, it's great to have one again this year since we didn't have time last year with the move. I would like to plant garlic, onions, and carrots some year as well.

We got everything in right before a downpour started. Ignore our crippled firepit...

Attached Images Attached Images

That yard has something like four days of growth on it. Complete madness really; it has just been a cycle of downpours and blinding sun. We were watching the steam evaporate off of the neighbors roof after one of the downpours that day.