Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Food for thought

First time grilling this summer. Made BBQ chicken with fried potatoes and a salad. Anyone else break out their grill for the summer?

I have.

Administrator
    Not yet, though it's not like I stopped for the winter or anything, even when it got down into the 40s! Frigid!

Really enjoying doing whole striped bass stuffed with aromatics on the grill. Been pairing it with a salad with arugula, capers, red onion, avocado, and a lemon vinaigrette. I just wish I was better at getting all the bones out first.

we did a garden for the first time this year, the zuchini, cucumbers and arugula really took off like crazy with all the rain. Some of the other things didn't make it, we pretty much just threw seeds in the ground to see what would stick after a relative tilled out a plot for us. I'll make some raised beds next year and put some more effort into it. Funny how the chives didn't take but I have wild onions in a couple spots in the yard.

Never stopped grilling, usually grill every friday night for dinner (work third during the week so I am asleep) and did it probably 75% of the fridays during the winter. I did smoke a couple racks of pork ribs last weekend. Rocking the old kettle charcoal grill, I like using real charcoal (ie not kingsford) but I wouldn't mind getting a newer dual gas/charcoal grill so I can grill without all the hassle some nights.

Something came through yesterday and completely eviscerated 2 of our 8 beds. We no longer have cucumbers or cantaloupe. Might be able to get new cucumber starters in time but I think we'll have at least one vacant bed moving forward.

I'm with you, I grill year round. Something fun about grilling in the snow. But our grill is gas and tapped into the house gas so lighting it is pretty easy.

The Bass sounds delicious. I'm looking forward to heading to the beach next month and buying fresh seafood to cook at the house we are staying at. Nothing better than fresh mahi on the grill.

Administrator
    Michele made a Bengali chicken and cilantro curry. Chiles came out of the garden. Was hard to track down mustard oil at the asian market, though.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Something came through yesterday and completely eviscerated 2 of our 8 beds. We no longer have cucumbers or cantaloupe. Might be able to get new cucumber starters in time but I think we'll have at least one vacant bed moving forward.

I'm with you, I grill year round. Something fun about grilling in the snow. But our grill is gas and tapped into the house gas so lighting it is pretty easy.
    I spoke to soon as well, groundhogs ate all of our arugula last night. Saw them out there monday and ran them off, seems like I will have to figure a deterrent of some sort, not really wanting to build a fence yet because we will probably be moving it or making raised beds next year.

I'd love to get a grill plumbed into the homes gas too,I think one more gas appliance gets us a discount as well. I imagine thats nice never having to worry about a propane level.

Yeah, we had propane in Wisconsin. It wasn't terrible but more than once I lifted the lid and a steak or burger was sitting cold.

Gas is kind of cheating, it's basically an outside oven. All things equal I'd prefer charcoal but the setup is such a hassle in comparison.

Several of you have probably already seen this, but I thought it was appropriate.