Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Food for thought

I used to like going to buffet restaurants once in a while. My parents and I used to have a favorite Chinese one when I was in high school or thereabouts. In college, a bunch of us guys would go to them and eat like we hadn't eaten for days for relatively little money.

Sometime after moving to Colorado from back east, I got a jones for Chinese buffet food and realized I didn't know where any were. The few I've since noticed are in older neighborhoods and look kind of sad from outward appearances. A few years back, one called Country Buffet opened in pretty prime retail space in my part of town, but that building has been vacant for a couple years now. I never ate there, and I guess I wasn't the only one.

Like a lot of things I remember from my youth, I guess their time has passed. Here's an article I stumbled upon today that doesn't make me want to rush to the nearest buffet restaurant, wherever that may be.

Vox.com: When did America’s heart turn cold on buffet chains?

Only buffet we reluctantly go to now is Souplantation. Knock on wood, we haven't gotten sick there ever..., but I have to admit the place isn't the cleanest. My daughter just loves their mac and cheese over all other restaurants' for some reason... that's the main reason why we go there. Often times we cook mac and cheese at home just to stop her from wanting to go there, but she still won't ever forget about wanting to go there once in a while. I think the soft serve ice cream is probably another big reason. Buffets are only attractive to kids I guess.

Gave up on buffets years ago because I'd get chronic diarrhea from them. I've been to Golden Corral once and it's the only one that didn't turn me into a root beer fountain, still have no desire to go back.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    How hard is it to make Ebleskiver (on a pan)? Would that skill set translate to making dorayaki/okonomiyaki?

I'm looking at you, Servo!
    Last edited by FaultyMario; April 4th, 2019 at 10:12 AM.
    acket.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Reading up, there's also south-asian and mediterranean variations on that theme, which makes the purchase of such equipment only more attractive.
    acket.

Administrator
    Surprisingly, I've never had ebleskiver.

Made coconut beef with cauliflower rice for dinner. Nathan and I are working on eating a paleo diet again. It's probably one of my favorite meals that I've been making.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Surprisingly, I've never had ebleskiver.
    You should try it next time you visit Solvang. It was just okay to me.

Administrator
    I'm kinda shocked to hear there's anything still Danish in Solvang these days.

Black and blue burger for dinner tonight. Nathan was kind enough to pick up some cheese while driving back from St. Paul last week. image-20190514_191416.jpg