Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Food for thought

It's the one part of Wisconsin I can't let go of.

Never tried a blue cheese burger... hmmm, now Iím curious...

I've only visited a couple of times, but bratwurst and cheese curds are the things I can't let go of.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I used to like going to buffet restaurants once in a while. My parents and I used to have a favorite Chinese one when I was in high school or thereabouts. In college, a bunch of us guys would go to them and eat like we hadn't eaten for days for relatively little money.

Sometime after moving to Colorado from back east, I got a jones for Chinese buffet food and realized I didn't know where any were. The few I've since noticed are in older neighborhoods and look kind of sad from outward appearances. A few years back, one called Country Buffet opened in pretty prime retail space in my part of town, but that building has been vacant for a couple years now. I never ate there, and I guess I wasn't the only one.

Like a lot of things I remember from my youth, I guess their time has passed. Here's an article I stumbled upon today that doesn't make me want to rush to the nearest buffet restaurant, wherever that may be.

Vox.com: When did America’s heart turn cold on buffet chains?

Just saw this now. I haven't eaten at a traditional buffet restaurant in a long time. Probably in part because I'm always fighting my weight, but also because I just don't have the appetite anymore. There are a few Chinese buffets that I hit when I'm in various cities and I hope that doesn't go away.

There is a bar in my neighborhood that does a small buffet every Wednesday. It's tiny, 2-3 entrees and a host of sides and soups. Also some desserts. The thing is that it's all 'homemade' by one woman. It's really good stuff and it's about a quarter of a mile from the house. I never regret stopping in.