Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Food for thought

My cocktails of choice are the Martini, the Negroni, and the Boulevardier. Of course there's also G&T or VT but I mean stuff that actually requires proper mixing.

I don’t drink cocktails, I do like a good oxtail soup.

I do like a good Martini with olives.

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    Don't know if you guys know about the whole 'Cadbury-gate' scandal that's been plaguing NZ for a number of years now, but here's a good summary;

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/f...-to-creme-eggs

My city here had the main Cadbury factory in NZ and it employed hundreds of locals (seems like almost everyone here knew someone who worked there, which was great for getting cheap chocolate/seconds!), and up till last year had a very popular Cadbury World Tour (which i never ended up doing, even though it was something i wanted to for a while). Probably helps that it is right across the road from the most photographed building in New Zealand, our railway station.

Now the entire factory (pretty much a whole city block) has been bought by the Ministry of Health and is going to be demolished (with the exception of one historic building) to build our new hospital (plus another city block, but that has multiple unrelated businesses on it).
    After what they did to this city (moving production to Australia to make more money - even though it was still making a profit here) i haven't yet heard anyone say they'll be sad to see the place razed to the ground.

We love our chocolate here, and we don't like getting screwed over. In almost every article you see online about Cadbury/Modelez etc, you need to search for a long time to find someone who still supports them - out of hundreds of comments.

Canadians, you may still be able to try NZ's new favourite chocolate, Whittakers, in select places. It's still the best chocolate i've had. Some people from the land of Swiss chocolate even say they prefer ours over theirs.

This anti-Cadbury post was bought to you by Whittakers New Zealand*
    www.whittakers.co.nz

*Not actually.

I barely indulge in chocolate snacks or candy bars anymore, but every now and then I have a salivating, insane craving for these:

I do recall still seeing Whittakers on the shelf at Bulk Barn, last time I was there.

Ash got us these little chocolate bars. About a dozen, with about six different flavors that taste like various kinds of liquor. They're pretty awesome for a treat.

Speaking of burgers, after finishing a delivery to a Golden Corral the kitchen manager asked me if I wanted anything to eat/drink, normally I said no, this time I indulged her offer...thick patty on a kaiser roll with grilled onions and bacon. It was killer.
    20190213_104108.jpg

They must really like you and appreciate what you do for them. I've been a KM in busy restaurants where drivers came and went all day long. We knew and liked these guys and would laugh and joke with them, often picking up the conversation from where it left off the day before, but we never cooked for them. Never mind the food cost; there just wasn't any time for things like that.

But speaking of restaurant delivery guys, I still have a knife that a knife-sharpening guy gave me after I asked him if I could buy one. The next week he brought me a brand new one with a bright blue handle (to distinguish it from all the black-handled ones he swapped out for freshly sharpened ones each week) and wouldn't take anything for it.

It's a cheap knife with a plastic handle and it's not even fully tanged. Yes, I can hear the gasps of horror from serious foodies with their rosewood-handled exotics when I say that, but that thing keeps an edge forever. I've never had it professionally sharpened, either. That knife is at least 15 years old now and I use it all the time at home, and I still pull it out of the dishwasher to wash by hand every time my wife puts it in there.

Sweets are bad for you anyway, Skyline. Plus Malaysian palm oil is absolutely fine. You guys are dodging bullets.

George, it's a buffet, so everything is already cooked.