Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Food for thought

It's the one part of Wisconsin I can't let go of.

Never tried a blue cheese burger... hmmm, now I’m curious...

Administrator
    I've only visited a couple of times, but bratwurst and cheese curds are the things I can't let go of.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I used to like going to buffet restaurants once in a while. My parents and I used to have a favorite Chinese one when I was in high school or thereabouts. In college, a bunch of us guys would go to them and eat like we hadn't eaten for days for relatively little money.

Sometime after moving to Colorado from back east, I got a jones for Chinese buffet food and realized I didn't know where any were. The few I've since noticed are in older neighborhoods and look kind of sad from outward appearances. A few years back, one called Country Buffet opened in pretty prime retail space in my part of town, but that building has been vacant for a couple years now. I never ate there, and I guess I wasn't the only one.

Like a lot of things I remember from my youth, I guess their time has passed. Here's an article I stumbled upon today that doesn't make me want to rush to the nearest buffet restaurant, wherever that may be.

Vox.com: When did America’s heart turn cold on buffet chains?

Just saw this now. I haven't eaten at a traditional buffet restaurant in a long time. Probably in part because I'm always fighting my weight, but also because I just don't have the appetite anymore. There are a few Chinese buffets that I hit when I'm in various cities and I hope that doesn't go away.

There is a bar in my neighborhood that does a small buffet every Wednesday. It's tiny, 2-3 entrees and a host of sides and soups. Also some desserts. The thing is that it's all 'homemade' by one woman. It's really good stuff and it's about a quarter of a mile from the house. I never regret stopping in.

Administrator
    Just made the Peruvian style green sauce from this recipe but used it with hanger steak. I think this sauce might become one of my staples, it'll go with so many things and it's super easy to make. The hardest part was peeling two cloves of garlic.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...ce-recipe.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Just made the Peruvian style green sauce from this recipe but used it with hanger steak. I think this sauce might become one of my staples, it'll go with so many things and it's super easy to make. The hardest part was peeling two cloves of garlic.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...ce-recipe.html
    Was it very spicy or did it have just a nice kick?

Administrator
    It was pretty spicy. I did not remove the seeds or ribs from the jalapenos, so there's some serious kick. Doing that would up the amount of work by a bit, but would probably drop it to your average "mild" salsa level of heat. The aji amarillo has a little bit of a kick, but there's so little in the sauce I can't imagine it makes a lot of difference.

Nathan isn't into super spicy foods, so I would have remove the seeds. Thank you for the follow up!

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Cream cheese alternatives for spreading on a bagel... hit me!
    acket.

Administrator
    My father is impossible to buy gifts for, but I've recently found that he likes it a lot when we cook for him. The more labor intensive, the better the gift, so we made ribs for him for Christmas. Did the Alton Brown braise-in-the-oven method, which I haven't done in a long time. I forgot how good those can be.

And for the record, I pretty much only like cream cheese on a bagel.