Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Food for thought

Nice.

Mmmm

Administrator
    For Christmas we got ourselves a sous vide machine. We've done one attempt with it and learned a few lessons, but managed to make pretty good steaks out of just some cheap sirloin. Now we're trying again with some filets. I have high hopes for this.

Administrator
    Verdict: I'm not sure I'll ever cook steak any other way ever again. Fire and forget and you get perfect doneness.

Yup. It's probably THE best way to do it.

I'm skeptical of sous vide machines. Probably because I use my cast iron skillet to make my steaks, etc if not using the gas grill.

You would still used the skillet to sear it!!!

So why not just use the skillet to cook it?

Fucking millennials.

Administrator
    Oh yeah, definitely finished it on the skillet. I tend to like my filets pretty thick, which can make it a challenge to get it cooked enough on the inside without overdoing it. My usual method would be to do a hard sear in cast iron at the highest heat my stove could reach for about 45 seconds a side, then put the steaks and the pan into a 500 degree oven and let it cook for a few minutes a side in there. Worked pretty well.

With the sous vide, it got done just how I want it from edge to edge, absolutely spot on cook the whole way through the steak (I like 'em rare, so went for 120F). Then I did the hard sear in cast iron at the highest heat, but went for more like 1:15 a side. Gave it a nice salty crust and cooked slightly into the meat, but a good 90% of the middle still that exact right doneness.

The other nice thing is that you can hold the steak at temp for a while before the sear, so it means you don't have to be quite as exacting with the timing of any side dishes. Wait until they're just about ready to go, then take the 2-3 minutes to finish the steaks and everything's ready at the same time.

FWIW, we got the Anova Nano. They're like $100 and you can control them with your phone.

I have the same model!

Though we can’t see eye to eye, at least we have similar tastes...