Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ford to kill ALL sedans

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    Everyone around here is either chargers, or explorer PI. A majority is in the Explorer.
    Seems like just about every police vehicle in the State of Maine is an Explorer or PI. I think my town actually has civilian Explorers, I imagine the savings over a PI is probably substantial but that surprises me. They just look weird with their alloy wheels and police paint job.

So I guess the new Ecosport (pronounced "ecco sport" in the ads, ugh) is supposed to replace the Fiesta, it looks like it's not much larger.
    Your license plates. GIVE THEM TO ME
    plates | pints | plaid on YT: https://www.youtube.com/@platespintsplaid

Here’s when Ford will end production of its cars:
    -May 2018: Focus
    -March 2019: Taurus
    -May 2019: Fiesta
    Fusion will stick around for at least a couple more years. Focus Active will be imported from China starting in mid-2019.

https://twitter.com/MikeMartinez_AN/...21682397761546

I'm surprised Focus got axed 1st and Fiestas the last... I'd think that's the better seller of the 3? Probably some union contract thing...

Most of the Ontario Provincial Police rigs are Fords too. Guess they'll have to go all Explorers or Chargers.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    I guess Now would be a good time to sell those (F) stocks i didn't buy in november of '08.
    acket.

I'm guessing the Focus has the largest currently unsold inventory. I can't imagine it's not the best selling of the three.

Or it could be the date of an already planned shutdown/retooling, which would now be pointless.

City police here are Impalas. County was testing both Chargers and the Ford PI sedan. State seem to be switching from Vics to Chargers.
    Wonder if they just lost all their Police Fleet sedan sales after stopping the Crown Victorias.

Its a good thing the F-150 sells so many. This is a very odd strategy from Ford. Do they have a bunch of hybrid/EV cars they're working on that no one knows about?

Quote Originally Posted by Drachen596 View Post
    C
    This is a very odd strategy from Ford. Do they have a bunch of hybrid/EV cars they're working on that no one knows about?
    Sounds like this is about body shape, not drivetrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Drachen596 View Post
    City police here are Impalas. County was testing both Chargers and the Ford PI sedan. State seem to be switching from Vics to Chargers.
    Wonder if they just lost all their Police Fleet sedan sales after stopping the Crown Victorias.
    Ford had a 75% share of the police vehicle market back in 2002, but the only remotely competitive option for a sedan was there Impala (sorry Intrepid), and those were still hands down inferior to the CVPI from a durability standpoint.

Ford's police market share hit a low of 38% after the CVPI was discontinued, but some of that drop was probably due to departments loading up on them in 2011 before production stopped.

Ford's police market share is up to 61%, with Explorers making up something like 51% of the overall market (the other 10% is a mix of Fusions for detectives, Taurus PIs, F-150s, Transits, and Expeditions). If they'll lose any sales due to not having sedans, it won't be many. The Caprice died with the Holden Elizabeth plant, and there is no more pursuit rated Impala. That leaves the Charger for pursuit rated sedans, but it's never been great on back seat room, and isn't made in the US, which matters for some government buyers.