Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford to kill ALL sedans

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ford to kill ALL sedans

http://fordauthority.com/2018/04/for...-focus-models/

Another nail in the coffin of the automobile.

The article lost me when it called the Mustang a halo vehicle.

Mustang will be the only car? The focus that's left is a crossover...

Jesus.

The next oil crisis will be a hoot for them. Even if the SUVs/SAVs get good gas mileage the optics will be bad. The Cash for Clunkers fiasco was only, what, a decade ago?

Administrator
    This seems like an odd choice considering most of those cars help them achieve average mileage targets, unless they have found a way to massively improve the efficiency of their SUVs and trucks.

I'm starting to think that the average consumer understands better than enthusiasts that CUVs are getting pretty close to car fuel economy.

A 1.5L FWD Escape gets 26 mpg combined, a 1.5L FWD Fusion gets 27 mpg. Sure, the Fusion gets 4 mpg better on the highway, but the identical city rating is probably more relevant for most people's commutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    This seems like an odd choice considering most of those cars help them achieve average mileage targets, unless they have found a way to massively improve the efficiency of their SUVs and trucks.
    Isn't the Trump administration trying to undo those mileage goals?

The other thing is, CARB calculates there MPG requirements based off wheelbase, etc. So if they are getting the same city mpg as the cars, but with larger footprint, they are actually getting a better calculated economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    The other thing is, CARB calculates there MPG requirements based off wheelbase, etc. So if they are getting the same city mpg as the cars, but with larger footprint, they are actually getting a better calculated economy.
    But aren't all the CUV's the same underpinnings as the sedan/hatch counterparts?

I'm not too mad about this honestly. Why would I care about the Ford Fusion? American companies make pretty shit economy sedans and hatches anyway, might as well have the advantages of the CUV. If this trickles over to Europe and Japan though, then I'd worry. Only loss is maybe the Focus RS, which might be a good buy right now at $4k savings
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; April 26th, 2018 at 10:17 AM.

Well, maybe time to start thinking about packing it up I think. This company doesn't give one shit about anything other than next quarter's profit margin anymore. It's foolish not only from a long term business standpoint, but also from the perspective of being a compelling company with products that people love.