Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ford to kill ALL sedans

I wonder if there'll eventually be a Mustang Active SUV as well!

Anyway, considering the dwindling sedan sales and their inability to compete with the 'import' brands, can't say that I blame Ford.

Don't forget Ford was the only company that didn't need to get bailed out.

Surely when the sedan comes back in fashion, Ford will be back at building sedans.

Considering gas prices are swing back up higher, my guess is that Ford will reverse course in a few years... so for these few years, they can save some money not building sedans that people don't really want to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    The other thing is, CARB calculates there MPG requirements based off wheelbase, etc. So if they are getting the same city mpg as the cars, but with larger footprint, they are actually getting a better calculated economy.
    But aren't all the CUV's the same underpinnings as the sedan/hatch counterparts?

I'm not too mad about this honestly. Why would I care about the Ford Fusion? American companies make pretty shit economy sedans and hatches anyway, might as well have the advantages of the CUV. If this trickles over to Europe and Japan though, then I'd worry. Only loss is maybe the Focus RS, which might be a good buy right now at $4k savings
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; April 26th, 2018 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Anyway, considering the dwindling sedan sales and their inability to compete with the 'import' brands, can't say that I blame Ford.
    Import sedans aren't selling either. IMO, Ford is being very proactive and forward thinking with this decision.

And don't forget, they will have cars in foreign markets that they could possibly bring over, if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    I wonder if there'll eventually be a Mustang Active SUV as well!
    Ha!

I wouldn't have thought that sedans would ever go away (and I realize Ford's announcement doesn't doom all sedans worldwide).

But, I never thought two-door sedans and two-door SUVs would all but disappear and that one day most pickup trucks would have four doors, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_SS View Post
    And don't forget, they will have cars in foreign markets that they could possibly bring over, if needed.
    Exactly! It's not like there'll never be another American nameplate sedan.

Seriously, as an American, if you're in the market for a new sedan, will Ford be near the top of your list? I do like their Fusion, but Ford probably still won't be able to crack top 5 of my list. So why bother?

If even Porsche is selling more SUVs than cars, can't really fault Ford to just give up on its lousy cars business for now.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; April 26th, 2018 at 01:08 PM.

Junior Potato
    Ford's sedans are a bit shit, so no great loss.

Although the loss of the Focus to the USA is a bit harsh. They're a good car. Although... Mazda on the inside, Ford on the outside. If you want one, just buy a Mazda 3.

Fiesta and Mazda2 were twins. Mazda gave up on 2 long ago. Probably about time Ford pull the plug on that one.

With regard to Focus and the latest Mazda 3, are they still related? Anyway, no way I'd even consider buying the Focus. Mazda 3 I do like though.

I think Mazda is the only company right now that doesn't have a model that I don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I wouldn't have thought that sedans would ever go away (and I realize Ford's announcement doesn't doom all sedans worldwide).

But, I never thought two-door sedans and two-door SUVs would all but disappear and that one day most pickup trucks would have four doors, either.
    Be on the lookout for the new bronco...

The changes include getting rid of all cars in the region during the next four years except for the Mustang sports car and a compact Focus crossover vehicle.

Will the Ford GT continue?

----

Also makes sense why the Mustang is going to NASCAR too.