Page 14 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports Ball

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar

By @rathbone, who usually does racing illustrations.
    acket.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    BotoxBrady got pwn'd by the Pats.
    acket.

Major sports are restarting in North America. Baseball yesterday, basketball next week and hockey I don't know when. Personally, I couldn't care less. I cancelled all my sports channels last month, and will be in no hurry to add them back. We'll see how I feel in a few weeks.

Our beloved Blue Jays were denied playing at home by the Canadian government because of Covid concerns due to the excessive travel involved in baseball. Then they tried to secure PNC Park in Pittsburgh, but were denied there too by either the state or city. Now Baltimore has agreed to let them play their home games at Camden Yards.

I say just cancel the season outright. Fuck it. Some sports organizations had sense enough do it a hundred years ago during the Spanish flu pandemic, they should do the same right now.

Blue Jay's were denied by the state. The city was very happy to have these germs packed into the city but they state blocked it. I believe they are going to end up in Buffalo.

Where are the Expos playing these days?

Administrator
    Hockey seems like one of those ones that won't be able to start anytime soon. It's basically a contact sport and it's held in ideal conditions for the virus to propagate - cold and dry. Same thing that lead it to spread so fast in meatpacking plants.

Junior Potato
    There have been moves to base the entire NRL (Rugby League) and AFL (Aerial ping-pong) seasons in Southeast Queensland because the southern states where most of the games take place is experiencing surges of COVID cases.

It's probably a smart thing to do for US-based teams. Pick one location and have all of the players kept in that area, while having all of the games in that region, and have a different region host different sports codes.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Blue Jay's were denied by the state. The city was very happy to have these germs packed into the city but they state blocked it. I believe they are going to end up in Buffalo.
    Yep looks like Buffalo is their home. It’s a natural fit being so close to Toronto, plus the fact that Buffalo is already the home of the Jays Triple-A affiliate.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Where are the Expos playing these days?
    LOL I was actually reading the Expos Wikipedia page the other day. It’s a sad story what happened to them. The only two times that the team managed to be on top of their division were seasons that were cancelled by player strikes. It was a shitty deal for the fans, and I totally understand their resentment toward baseball afterwards, which ultimately led to the team’s relocation.

There is a “bring back the Expos” movement, but I’m not sure how much traction it’s gotten over the years. It would be nice to have a team back in Montreal.

I’ve always dreamed of a World Series between Toronto and Montreal. It would be amazing!

That would just be a Canadian Series, eh?

The first little league team I was on was the Expos. I didn't know they relocated. Interesting! Just read their Wikipedia page. I love watching baseball but I don't really follow who's who and what's going on other than just to turn on a game on TV sometimes on a Saturday afternoon and feel like everything is normal in the world. I was glad to find some on TV just yesterday. The game looks odd with empty stands, but any baseball is better than no baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    That would just be a Canadian Series, eh?
    By that logic, every single World Series should be called American Series. 1992 and 1993 were the only true “World” Series on record.

The first little league team I was on was the Expos. I didn't know they relocated. Interesting! Just read their Wikipedia page.
    Yeah it was in 2004. Had they just hung in there another 15 years they would’ve been world champions.

I love watching baseball but I don't really follow who's who and what's going on other than just to turn on a game on TV sometimes on a Saturday afternoon and feel like everything is normal in the world. I was glad to find some on TV just yesterday. The game looks odd with empty stands, but any baseball is better than no baseball.
    Yeah that was me from the late-90’s till 2015. Just watched the occasional game here and there, not really knowing who anyone was. Then suddenly the Jays became contenders in 2015, and a magical feeling swept over everyone. 2016 as well. Then new management came in and dismantled the entire team from top to bottom, which turned me off completely. I still keep an eye on the scores, stats and standings, but other than that I’m largely dispassionate and disgruntled.

I play MLB: The Show 16 whenever I’m feeling nostalgic.

Empty stands are quite bizarre to look at, but the cardboard cutout fans are hilarious.