Page 21 of 44 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports Ball

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    based on where they were born is not patriotism.
    Based on who they compete for...
    some move countries as kids, some switch as adults for better chances in sport.

and why are non-countries allowed to compete in Olympics?

Junior Potato
    Do you mean people whose political background is in question, such as those from Taiwan? Refugees? Or Russians?

Some of it is a lot of bloody hot air if you ask me. The Olympics is all about peace and progress and prosperity but hey, Israel is still killing people on the Gaza Strip. It's as Greta Thunberg says, you say a lot but nothing really happens.

What I'm referring to is idealistic jingoism, or attaching a national identity to the performance of athletes. It might be an Australian thing, where we have no identity to anchor ourselves to, so we feel happy or sad about the world based on whether or not we win the Ashes. I find it somewhat embarrassing.
    Last edited by Rare White Ape; July 30th, 2021 at 07:08 PM.

It's complicated.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FC Barcelona
    Despite FC Barcelona and Lionel Messi having reached an agreement and the clear intention of both parties to sign a new contract today, this cannot happen because of Spanish LaLiga regulations on player registration.

As a result of this situation, Messi shall not be staying on at FC Barcelona. Both parties deeply regret that the wishes of the player and the club will ultimately not be fulfilled.
    Translation: They can't afford him.

End of an era, I guess.
    acket.

Honestly any athlete that can pass drug tests should be able to compete regardless of where they are from. That's the spirit of the Olympics.

I just wish our TV coverage wasn't so tightly US focused. I like to see good stories all around and appreciate the performances regardless of where they are from.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    I just wish our TV coverage wasn't so tightly US focused. I like to see good stories all around and appreciate the performances regardless of where they are from.
    That's fair. You could VPN to some other regions' local stations and watch if you're interested.

For example, it's really quite sad and hilarious how much of the western media's swimming coverage was all "AUSTRALIA V USA". With angles like that, no wonder Billi is a brainwashed moron.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    Honestly any athlete that can pass drug tests should be able to compete regardless of where they are from. That's the spirit of the Olympics.

Thank you!!!!

Show me the humaninterest story for ALL THE athletes, notjust the American ones. Such a turnoff to watch jingoistic programming.

Are talking Olympics, then?

Have you heard the phrase "beast mode on"? It should be "Mijaín mode on".
    acket.

The Sports Climbing routes were impossible. Those 16 men and women are superheros.
    acket.

Radioactive spiders bit all those guys.