Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports Ball

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Congrats!
    Thanks! Feels good to win. The excitement let's you momentarily forget your struggles and the bullshit you have to deal with on a regular basis. At the same time, it says something disturbing and unflattering about society, that most of us need to look for something external to lift us up. Should come from within. But still, it's exciting and I'll take it. Even though we know it'll wear off soon and reality will come back with a vengeance.

Administrator
    Norge! Norge! Norge!!

NBA free agency starts today in about three hours. Lots of news and speculation about everyone, everywhere.

I only care about Kawhi Leonard. We likely won’t know anything about him until the end of the week. He has meetings lined up all week. He’s giving us the courtesy of the final meeting. I hope he stays.

In the meantime these sports analysts are getting on my nerves. I call them ANALysts. They’re so full of shit most of the time. All they do is stir the pot and create hype.

I wake up this morning to find out that Kawhi Leonard has signed with the LA Clippers, who also acquired Paul George via trade, making them a powerhouse team. Master stroke.

For us it’s such a deflating feeling, like a punch to the gut, even though it was largely expected that Kawhi wouldn’t stay. Still, a lot of us deluded ourselves into believing he loved us the way we loved him. Classic case of unrequited love, and it was apparent all year long the way he kept us at arms length.

I’m not mad, but I am sad. Yes we are still the champions, but now with little or no chance of defending the title, it’s almost pointless to get excited about next season. It feels like we were only given a period of three weeks to enjoy the championship. Really sucks.

Gotta hand it to the Clippers organization. They recruited Kawhi all season long and pulled the rabbit out of the hat with George at the same time. It all paid off. Kawhi will supersede LeBron as the King of LA.

Me personally, I’m burned out of all things basketball right now. Time to back off from it. Totally fatigued. Raptors won’t be the same next year, and I don’t think I’ll watch much. Will just stick to scores and standings.

Go. Leafs. Go.

It's a business for him, a spectator hobby for you. Love isn't, nor should be, a part of the equation.

Yeah when I mentioned love I didn’t actually mean me. I tried to remain realistic all year long. Hoping he’d stay but fully expecting him to leave. Anyway, whatever...it is what it is. It’ll suck for a little while, but I’ll live.

What’s frustrating is his departure serves to further the narrative that Toronto has been trying to shed since the inception of the Raptors, which is that no top level talent wants to play here. Of the handful of high caliber players we’ve had in our brief history, none have come here of their own volition. If Kawhi signed here then the belief was it would legitimize us as a viable destination for future elite talent. But that’s not the way it played out. Looks like we’ll have to continue relying on trades and homegrown talent. When you stop and think about it, that seems to be the reality for most of the teams in the league, outside the major markets.

I suspect the hockey purists in this country are breathing a sigh of relief today. Those people that hate basketball and feel threatened by its meteoric rise in popularity in this country. I think Kawhi’s departure has taken the wind out of the sails of the basketball movement in Canada, at least partially. That part really sucks.

The hockey purists are celebrating the shitcanning of Don Cherry.

Administrator
    That was a heck of a fight put up by the Netherlands today, and I'm glad the match didn't end with the only goal coming from a penalty kick. That was a fun World Cup, though I wish Norway had made it a little farther.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    The hockey purists are celebrating the shitcanning of Don Cherry.
    Nope, he’s back. Would’ve been awesome if he was finally shitcanned. Would’ve been long overdue. The hockey culture in this country needs an overhaul IMO. They’re clinging onto the old ways, and it’s grown tiresome.

Agreed, I was quite dejected to see HNiC retain him.