Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports Ball

Administrator
    I woke up at about 5:30am and saw it was in the 6th inning out here. I don't have a real favorite, but seeing Machado sad is a special joy for me, so I guess I'm leaning Boston.

Machado always has a pouty look on his face. Like he’s about to cry.

So for those that don't really follow college football closely, University of Central Florida has been left out of the 4-team playoff for the second time in a row after going undefeated. Once again there are calls for an 8-team playoff. I think everyone wanted 8-teams from the start, except a few commissioners (SEC, Big 10, XII probably).

IMO, it's so simple. 8 teams. 5 conference champions from the big conferences and three at large based on ratings (ratings determine seeds as well). They all have conference championship games now, so why not use them. Maybe Notre Dame would actually join a conference. Being undefeated would be an automatic inclusion, or at least weigh very heavily for non-big 5 conference FBS teams.

So this year it would look like this:

1. Alabama (SEC Champ)
    2. Clemson (ACC Champ)
    3. Notre Dame (At-Large, no conference)
    4. Oklahoma (Big XII Champ)
    5. Georgia (At-Large, SEC)
    6. Ohio State (Big 10 Champ)
    7. UCF (At-Large, undefeated)
    8. Washington (Pac-12 Champ)

Not perfect, as you'll note Michigan gets left out, despite having a higher ranking at the end of the season than UCF. But taking into account both UCF being undefeated, really they should be an automatic bid, and Michigan lost their conference championship game, which could be looked at as a first round, or play-in game.

There will still be teams/fans arguing about being left out (Michigan in this example). But when you're 9 vs 8, that's more in your hands than 4 vs 5.
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; December 13th, 2018 at 09:24 AM.

It's easy to decide who should play in the games. The problem is continuing to milk these college kids for more games, for which they are getting no additional compensation, and are risking their long term health and earning potential. For what? So people can complain that there aren't 12 teams allowed in?

"No one will complain if we're at 8!" says the person that doesn't pay attention to college basketball.

I’m excited about basketball. Our Toronto Raptors are looking like the real deal.

We knocked off the Golden State Warriors the other night in an absolute blowout, even without our elite player, Kawhi Leonard, who was injured. We beat the Warriors a few weeks ago at home in a thrilling game, but many people disregarded it because Steph Curry and Draymond Green were out for the Warriors, so there was an asterisk beside it. No asterisk this time. Warriors were at full strength, and Raptors were banged up. Still, some annoying fans are not giving Toronto their due. They say stuff like Warriors only lost because they didn’t get good shots. Well yeah...that’s a testament to the Raptors superior defense.

I do agree with what Curry said after the game. That it means nothing. These two teams will likely meet in the finals, and he said you don’t get extra points for a regular season sweep. The most dangerous thing the Raptors players can do is feel extra proud of the themselves after this win. I watched their interviews, and everyone’s heads are in the right place. It was just a regular season win, nothing more. They are laser focused on winning the NBA title. Anything less is a failure.

Anyone watching the NBA playoffs?

Raptors looking really strong. Kawhi Leonard looking like an MVP. He already has one Finals MVP under his belt, maybe it'll happen again this year. Bucks kind of worry me, but not that much. Golden State is a given on the other side.

LeBron tweeted out a gif of a hand...which is being interpreted as a nod to Kawhi. Everyone and their mother knows he won't sign with Toronto at the end of the season. It'll be either Lakers or Clippers for him. We're trying to enjoy him while he lasts in a Raptors uniform. All I want is to see him win a title for us. That's all I care about. I won't blame him for going to LA. I would too.

Still, I think there's a 5% chance of him signing with us. If we win the title and he's interested in building a dynasty. Zero percent if we're eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by sandydandy View Post
    Anyone watching the NBA playoffs?
    No.

The NHL playoffs are absolutely bonkers though. Games have meaning and series actually go past 4-5 games.

No more NHL for me. We are forever cursed.

Forever1967

Heh, yeah.

My team was swept in the first round.

Caps are out, though. Yay!

Ugh man Raptors appear to be going down. Bucks are too strong. But the next two games are at home and anything can happen. We had them under control in the first game, but took our foot off the gas in the third quarter and they came back to win it. Last night was just a humiliating curb stomp.

The chances of Kawhi coming back next season have fallen under one percent. It's pretty much over. With it will go my interest in basketball. I'll file it with hockey and baseball as sports I used to watch.