Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sony mirrorless cameras... Well this is the f*cking future

Using a DSLR mount on a mirrorless camera defeats the point of the format...

To me mirrorless point is to not have a mirror anymore and to have EVF, I don't care about the weight.
    Also physics are such that good lenses will always be big. No way around.

https://youtu.be/Ax3ZpDs4EgI Like it or not, new Nikon mount confirmed.
    Last edited by KillerB; August 1st, 2018 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blerpa View Post
    To me mirrorless point is to not have a mirror anymore and to have EVF, I don't care about the weight.
    Also physics are such that good lenses will always be big. No way around.
    The general consensus is at least wide angle lenses are easier to design when you don't have the big distance between the mount and the sensor to deal with.

It was high time for Nikon to make a new mount. They have been putting lipstick on the pig that is the F mount since the 80s when they shoehorned autofocus capability into it. It simply isn't big enough to support nice fast apertures and the electronic connections that go along with autofocus. Looks like they learned their lesson because the new mount in the teaser photos of the camera looks damn gigantic.

I see no problem with making a new mount assuming you'll be able to adapt old lenses to it with good performance, which it seems like you'll be able to with both Canon and Nikon.

The one area where Canon and Nikon could really blow Sony out of the water is if their cameras came with a global shutter. This is fancy talk for an electronic shutter that reads out the entire sensor at once. Current Sony cameras allow you to use a fully silent, no moving parts shutter, but there is a drawback. The electronic readout does not happen all in one instant, but rather line by line, so if you're using an electronic shutter with something really fast moving, or under fluorescent or some LED lights, it can result in really weird visual artifacts. Therefore, Sonys still require a clunky mechanical shutter in many circumstances. As soon as someone cracks the code on making a sensor that can electronically read out all at once, the need for any mechanical shutter goes out the window, as far as I know, and then you'll have a really bulletproof camera with no moving parts to wear out.
    Last edited by Sad, little man; August 2nd, 2018 at 10:42 AM.

That's what happens shooting neon lenses on Sony mirrorless cameras sometimes.

On other news Canon announced a new mirrorless camera... a p&s one. MEH.

This is more of a fluff piece than I was hoping for, but it's on topic: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-over-the-pros

Nikon Z6 and Z7 full-frame mirrorless cameras and three lenses coming on August 23rd, Z-Noct-Nikkor 58mm f/0.95 lens to be announced later

The Noct-Nikkor 58mm f/0.95 patent has been out there for a bit... definitely hoping for a replacement for the Noct-NIKKOR 58mm f/1.2, which is a legendary MF lens which does an amazing job rendering points of light at night, but has ended up costing well over $3k per example thanks to low production and hype over the years.

I doubt I'll be buying one right away, but I'm interested to see whether the lower-resolution version (24MP) is speed focused, like the Sony A9, or whether it's truly a lower-end camera, a replacement for the D750. I have my D500, which is a speed demon, so I'd likely lean toward the 45+MP version to compliment the crop-sensor-but-high-speed D500.

I have to think Canon will sweep in a few months later and release several models that will ensure their continued dominance, but I've enjoyed the Nikon ergonomics for a long time and are reluctant to change, despite my relatively small investment in lenses - I've only got two full-frame lenses at this point (Nikon 50mm 1.8D I picked up for cheap, and a Tokina 100mm f/2.8 Macro, so technically, when I'm ready to go full frame, I could go with any system if I really wanted to.

Therefore, I'm not AS stuck on an F-mount adapter for the Nikon Z cameras, but I still wonder whether it's possible for them to produce an F-mount adapter that could somehow turn MF lenses into AF ones. I do think that, long term, it wouldn't hurt the sales of new lenses as some of the high MP cameras can out-resolve even some of the best film-era lenses, but in the short term, it would be a real boon to the Nikon market.
    Last edited by KillerB; August 14th, 2018 at 09:27 PM.