Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: That's The Last Straw (literally)

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar

That's The Last Straw (literally)

I couldn't help myself.

So, Seattle and Starbucks are both trying to ban plastic straws and I'm in favor of that. Yes, it will be strange and we'll have to adapt to paper straws or "sippy cups" but this is long overdue and IMO, will be just the beginning of major changes of plastic use in general.

Sea World and other animal parks here in Florida have used paper straws for decades and recently tried them and they've much improved over what they used to be.

Thoughts?

I don't really like paper straws from a usability standpoint, but I support moving towards them anyways as it's better for the environment.

Administrator
    I don't see why we're not pushing for the obvious solution - red vines with the ends bitten off for straws.

I rarely use straws anyway. Only if they put one in my drink if I go through the drive-thru or something.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I don't see why we're not pushing for the obvious solution - twizzlers with the ends bitten off for straws.
    fixed that for you

Look what you've started

Junior Potato
    The state government here has banned plastic shopping bags, and that came into effect on July 1st. It has resulted in a lot of amusing stories about irate shoppers. The positive effect on the environment will outweigh their personal hardship.

I’m a huge supporter of any measures to limit the use of disposable plastics.

Administrator
    We did the plastic bag ban a few years ago, along with a mandatory 10 cent charge for paper bags. A lot of people groused about it at the time, but nobody seems to think much of it anymore, and I know it's encouraged me to bring my own bags more often. I keep a reusable bag in my backpack and another in my panniers so whichever bike I'm taking, I've got one, and the wife keeps like 10 reusable bags in her car. Works out pretty easily, and the reusable bags almost never break.

I'm fine with plastic straw bans, because straws are pretty inessential.

However, you can't really say that reusable bags, particularly cotton bags, are always better for the environment than plastic ones. The reusable bags lead to less waterway/marine pollution, but need to be used well over a hundred times (and up possibly a few hundred times) for them to break even in carbon emissions, landfill, and water usage.

The way I use plastic bags (frequently using them to throw out tortoise box liner and diapers), I'd have to use a reusable bag at least a couple hundred times. Given my experiences with cotton tote bags tearing well before I get 200 uses out of them, the plastic bags have less environmental impact for me.

So for most people, pick your poison. Global warming and water depletion, or marine pollution.

How can we suck up bobas without straws!?!?

Thank God for this: https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3477607