Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TV Stuffed?

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar

TV Stuffed?

Had this 46" Sony TV since 2009, and it's been turned on almost every day.

Turned it on today, and this was the picture we were greeted with (not Fresh Prince, the screen itself. ).

So is it farked, or could it be fixed?

It's the best looking TV i've ever seen, with the normal black surround, then a glass surround, with a metal edging so really reluctant to say goodbye to it. ;(

Administrator
    That doesn't look like a broken screen, so presumably something on the mainboard is off. It can probably be repaired, but it could be hard to track down a replacement board and may end up costing more to fix than it would to replace - TVs are getting pretty cheap these days.

Junior Potato
    Yep assuming you’ve checked your cables etc it’s probably fooked.

Time to upgrade yourself to a 4K with HDR. Get a Sony KD55X9000E - it’s just as good as this year’s X9000F but it’ll be cheaper because it’s a 2017 telly.

Hook up a PS4 Pro to it (or just a normal PS4) and let your eyeballs dance with joy.

Hmmm. Not long after this post i turned it off for five seconds, then back on again and it was back to normal. Then went out for a few hours, came back and turned it on and again it was working fine.

I think perhaps this was a warning shot fired by the TV?

And we were looking at this Sony (KD55X8500F), but may see how much/if the current one can be fixed yet. Won't be going higher than 55" though (as that would require a new TV cabinet, and a bigger lounge) and i highly doubt the OLED TV's are a noticeable difference in quality compared to a normal LED, to justify the extreme price increase down that path.

I mean, i new TV would be nice, but am just so damn attached to the look of this one. I did think this day would come though. :/
    Last edited by SkylineObsession; July 20th, 2018 at 11:17 PM.

Bin it.

Quote Originally Posted by SkylineObsession View Post
    ...and i highly doubt the OLED TV's are a noticeable difference in quality compared to a normal LED, to justify the extreme price increase down that path.
    Not correct at all. A normal LED, even Samsung Q-LED, does not hold a candle to the worst OLED tv set.
    It's plasma vs LED once again, with LED, as usual, being on the loser side of it.

Ah gerdammit. :/

What about the jump from LCD, as i have now, to LED? OLED's are way out of my price range at the mo.

Junior Potato
    LCDs use the same colour production tech as LEDs.

The thing about LED TVs is that the backlight is produced by LEDs instead of the older fluorescent tubes. The LCD layer at the front is what turns the white light of the LEDs into the colours that you see.

So the two are pretty much identical.

The true jump is to OLED, which is self-emitting. Each pixel is its own backlight, so you get perfect black and more accurate colours. It’s also super energy efficient.

But is it worth it for you to pay twice as much, or will a good mid-range current LCD do the job? I chose LCD back in April and I’m very happy with it.

There's multizone LEDs that are pretty decent if you're looking to spend less than OLED prices though. I say that as an OLED owner. Not everyone needs perfect, and wants to spend said money.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SkylineObsession View Post
    Hmmm. Not long after this post i turned it off for five seconds, then back on again and it was back to normal. Then went out for a few hours, came back and turned it on and again it was working fine.

I think perhaps this was a warning shot fired by the TV?
    This sounds like either a loose connection (either a wiring harness coming loose or a solder going bad), or a capacitor going out. I say this as someone with absolutely zero knowledge of anything. Do you have a nearby electronics/appliance repair shop you can bring it to? Especially in the case of loose wiring, it might be a quick and easy repair that doesn't need any spare parts.