Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Home internet and wi-fi overhaul

Thanks Alan. I'll have to check the security type when I get home. It does show what devices are connected and how (wi-fi vs. directly plugged in) and I recognized all except one, and I assume the one I didn't recognize that showed directly plugged in was the router itself.

Hmm, I wonder if there are any historical reports available. I have the dates and times of the downloads. I wonder if I could go back and see how many devices were hooked up at those times.

Not a big deal, as I assume the password change will protect us for a while, but it's a new and interesting situation to me.

Have an acquaintance who plays bass guitar at night and moonlights as an IT nerd during the day. A while back he was talking about a buddy who'd moved into a new apartment and after 60 minutes had he'd hacked into 4 of the 7 wifi's with a strong signal. Because most people don't change the default and Frontier/ATT/Spectrum don't change the format of their passwords one came limit the range of passwords the cracking software needs to guess with once you know the provider.

Dictionary attacks are effective given they exploit laziness and/or ignorance.

Thankfully our ISP passwords are randomised ten characters, nothing simple and never repeated across more than one Router.

Two functionalities,
    remote management and WAN side connections.

In case a router has them both allowed.
    It's password protected yes, but some models have security holes.

Then router is attacking router.
    And in best scenario, mining bitcoins.

BTW,
    wireless router of sorts.
    WDS(no WAN) made a wireless client getting address from host router when wired one got it locally.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan P
    Does that IP address show what security has been set? It should be WPA2-PSK as a minimum
    Ours is WPA-WPA2-Personal, set as the default, apparently.

Other choices are WPA-Personal, WPA2-Personal, WEP, and Security Off.

Quote Originally Posted by XHawkeye View Post
    Because most people don't change the default and Frontier/ATT/Spectrum don't change the format of their passwords one came limit the range of passwords the cracking software needs to guess with once you know the provider.
    The name of our ISP is part of the name of the network! It's their name followed by some numbers. I never changed it, but I will today. Now to think of a name...

Quote Originally Posted by dodint
    Dictionary attacks are effective given they exploit laziness and/or ignorance.
    I have been guilty on both counts. Thanks to all for taking the time to teach me what I should have learned a long time ago.

WPA2-Personal
    AES

Name of your network is nothing, it's length is everything.

It's mostly same with your password but that's irrelevant if there's a security hole.
    Keep it's firmware up to date.
    I'd consider OpenWrt.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I have been guilty on both counts. Thanks to all for taking the time to teach me what I should have learned a long time ago.
    Hah, that wasn't a dig at you, George. Sometimes you don't know what you don't know.

I just use my dog's name as my password, what could go wrong...

George - if you really want to lock access down you can probably setup MAC address filtering. This should stop any devices apart from those you specify connecting to your wireless. I suspect your ISP will have some help articles on this. You can also stop broadcasting the SSID which will make your network less visible to casual passers by.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by XHawkeye View Post
    Have an acquaintance who plays bass guitar at night and moonlights as an IT nerd during the day.
    Literally checked your location to make sure you weren't talking about my friend Rick and that we had a mutual friend.