Thread: Home internet and wi-fi overhaul

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Does anyone have recent experience with internet from a cable TV provider?

If so, my question is has the technology changed in the last few years, or do you still get TV & cable signal over the same physical cable coming to the house?

I'm evaluating cable vs. DSL for internet service at home. Sadly those two seem to be our only options, and I'm not particularly fond of either provider. Anyway, we used to have cable TV and cable internet. I could plug the cable modem into any of a few cable TV jacks in our house and get internet that way. So, I figured we could just call Comcast (TV & cable provider) and ask them to start sending us an internet signal and add it to our monthly bill, if that's what we decide to do.

Well, I just called Comcast and got a lady who sounded like she was halfway around the world and very difficult to understand. She said they would have to run a new cable to the house for internet, in addition to the cable that's currently coming to the house for TV. That's not how it used to be, and that would likely be a deal-breaker if so. I'm on hold with them again now to see if I can get a different person to ask and thought I'd ask here while I wait.

Thanks.

Edited to add: I'm finding conflicting results on Google. I thought this would be a simple yes/no question.

Edited again: Sounds like the answer is maybe, or it depends, or perhaps.

Comcast, of course, is of little help: "The salesman technician can determine that when does the installation. Which day works better for you?"
    Last edited by George; April 11th, 2019 at 03:20 PM.