Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Home internet and wi-fi overhaul

So in my new home, my PC goes upstairs, but I wanted the Wifi on the middle story. (It's one of those Garage/Living/Bed three level townhomes) That way I figured I could get good wifi everywhere. After struggling with speeds upstairs, I went through a bunch of possible solutions. I have 150mbps cable, usually sits up around 180 though. However, my main PC was only seeing about 8mbps, and was kinda spotty.

First I moved the router to a more central, but less convenient part of my living room. This helped get my up to about 20mbps.

Next, upgraded my old network card. Got one with BT, so it wouldn't be a complete waste if it didn't help (which is nice, the BT on the mobo I have from '09 was useless), but also more importantly a remote antenna. Unfortunately the wires are only a couple feet long, so I can't do much, but get it out of the corner away from all the other wires. That helped a little. Went up to about 30-35mbps. But I was still only seeing about 20% of the speeds I should see. I also noticed at this point issues with my chromecast in my bedroom (basically directly above the router). 30mbps should be enough to stream 1080p without much problem. So it's more than just pure speed.

Next I tried to setup my router as a repeater, since the Xfinity modem has built in wifi. I planned on putting that upstairs. That was a disaster. Couldn't get it to work, and I had to factory reset the router.

Finally I thought I'd try to make separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks. I know 2.4 is better for going through walls and such, but can get crowded, and 5GHz may have a lower signal, but actually better speed. Boom. 180mbps. Turns out that new network card was actually helpful, I just had to force it to 5GHz. I wonder if there is a way to force it without making separate SSIDs

Well, in the end, I just made separate SSID's and everything goes on the 5GHz, except my printer and Chromecast.

Solution: I don't really use the chromecast anymore, since my TVs are smart now, and I also have Roku Sticks, and I was able to move everything back over the corner with my desk (and printer) and put the printer on the 5GHz network via ethernet cable.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    What would one need to program a home connection so that it opens at certain times of the day? could I have network within my network used for that traffic, and restrict its access to mobile devices?

Long story short, we live really close to a busy bus stop and we think it'd be nice if people could text while they wait for their ride home.
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    What would one need to program a home connection so that it opens at certain times of the day? could I have network within my network used for that traffic, and restrict its access to mobile devices?

Long story short, we live really close to a busy bus stop and we think it'd be nice if people could text while they wait for their ride home.
    Sounds like you need a Router that offers an option for Guest Wi-Fi Network. It'll allow access to the internet but that's it. Nothing internal within your own network or access to your own devices. Although I'm a little confused by 'text' and the requirement for internet? Do you mean SMS? in the Uk that's completely via the mobile network and doesn't use any data unless it's WhatsApp or some other messaging app/service?

I would not want to offer the general public any Internet access. They might not use it as they may suspect you are phishing for their data. They may also browse all sorts of unsavoury stuff. I think you can restrict it, but why even risk it?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
    Sounds like you need a Router that offers an option for Guest Wi-Fi Network. It'll allow access to the internet but that's it. Nothing internal within your own network or access to your own devices. Although I'm a little confused by 'text' and the requirement for internet? Do you mean SMS? in the Uk that's completely via the mobile network and doesn't use any data unless it's WhatsApp or some other messaging app/service?
    I mean mobile messaging apps. You know, stuff that won't drain bandwidth and ruin it for everybody.
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    why even risk it?
    Yeah, why not?
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenb View Post
    George - if you really want to lock access down you can probably setup MAC address filtering. This should stop any devices apart from those you specify connecting to your wireless. I suspect your ISP will have some help articles on this. You can also stop broadcasting the SSID which will make your network less visible to casual passers by.
    If its only the same devices - MAC filtering is pretty secure.
    If your route does it - a second level of access via password maybe with restrictions on what it can do.

MAC level is a pain if you are a business and have lots of new/different devices coming each day. Home - shouldnt be a big deal to manage.

As in, don't even risk giving people free internet access. Be an asshole. They can pay for their own data.

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    Be an asshole.
    We have far, far too many of those right now. Wifey's classmates horror stories is what prompted my interest.

The Mexico City transit authorities are making renovations -like moving turnstiles- to certain metro stations so that pedestrians can use the corridors as safe passageways when they move around town. I mean, if something can be done to help fellow human beings feel safer, why not do it?
    Last edited by FaultyMario; February 19th, 2019 at 07:20 AM.
    acket.