Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Home internet and wi-fi overhaul

I use Google Wifi also. They just sent an ad out that they're releasing a wifi6E version soon. So maybe I'll upgrade it in a few years.

Google Wifi is fantastic for anyone that has kids, FYI. You can use the Google Home app to pause wifi on certain devices. I have a separate routine for each of my kids so their wifi turns off at bedtime, shower time, etc... And if they forget to do their chores or homework, or get in trouble for something, I can just "pause" wifi to their devices until they shape up.

I know this is a simple thing in the end, but I'm kind of proud of myself for figuring this out.

Our new apartment has at least one outlet in every room with both coaxial cable and ethernet ports. They are also numbered. My guess was the apartments have LAN built-in. Xfinity/Comcast has an exclusive deal with the property management to supply Internet. We signed up at the closest Xfinity store and brought the equipment home. We plugged the modem into the coax outlet in my race room/studio (bedroom.) It did not work. Attached it in the living room and it worked. Talked to the reps in the property management office. I was told that Comcast only wired one of the coax outlets to work. Umm... Oookaaay.

I wanted a wired connection to my racing PC. Alas, I could not figure out how to use the built-in LAN. I know there is probably something simple I am missing. Just connecting everything with ethernet cables did not work. Maybe I need a patch cable? I am ignorant of networking. I was bitching about that when my wife told me that there is a panel box in the closet. I had a look and it is obviously the hub for all the ethernet cables, but also filled with numbered coaxial cables. Only one cable is connected to a cable labelled "H." The working coax outlet is "7" and the bedroom outlet is "4." Sure enough, H is connected to 7. I simply disconnected 7 and plugged in 4. Voila, the coax outlet in the bedroom now works and my PC has a wired connection to the modem.

Ultimately, I don't need the LAN anymore, but what if I wanted to host a LAN party?
    Last edited by Cam; September 5th, 2023 at 12:34 PM.

Hey! Nicely done, and great job Lori with the assist!
    Get that weak shit off my track

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    75% of that goal was the passer's work. Definitely.
    acket.