Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Morbid Obesity is now fashionable apparently

I know what you mean about hospitals. The vending machines at the ones here are full of sugary junk and rubbish snacks like crisps and chocolate.

Good work inspiring the nurse. Hopefully it'll make a change in her life and her patients' lives. Something like Paleo magazine is a good read for beginners.

Quote Originally Posted by SkylineObsession View Post
    One of my brothers is around 130kg (286 lb) and he's sort of plateaued around there, but doesn't have the motivation to get more exercise, nor the money to eat better (he's on a sickness benefit for depression). He's better than he used to be, and does want to change, but he's getting a little disheartened that their (sister is a little overweight too) efforts to eat better etc aren't helping anymore like they used to.

NZ has a bit of an obesity problem too. My father has always been relatively 'normal' weight wise yet when he moved to the USA and lived there for ten years, he came back quite overweight (probably around your old weight of 300 lb or so). He too has plateaued with his weight at the moment, i think he's stuck at 110kgs (242lb). And my step mum, who he bought back with him from the US, is also 'overweight', and i worry about her too.

It may end up being an ongoing thing to keep the weight off, but hopefully you continue to keep the motivation up. Maybe you could even start helping others lose weight in a bigger capacity, if that's your thing.

It is absolutely an ongoing thing. Relatively skinny/fit people who think it isn't ARE making it an ongoing thing, they just don't realize it. They're eating at caloric maintenance and staying active enough. Plain and simple. Just like losing weight is eating at a caloric deficit while being active. Plain and simple.

(And keeping sugar low to control cravings makes that way easier.)

But there does seem to be evidence that your body has a "memory" and many people after weight loss find it hard to keep it off, somewhere between old bad habits and the body wanting more food till its back to its old weight. That and it is hard to keep up a "diet" rather than a lifestyle change.

Currently stuck on a cruise ship with unlimited amount of fucking food. At least I walked like around 10k steps a day on excursions..., but still... probably need to run a few laps around the ship as well...

Fingers crossed that I won’t gain some weight after the cruise...

Anyway, nice inspiring story and good for you Tiggy. I’ve personally never being more than 178 lbs in my life and I’m currently 170 before cruise. Though my # doesn’t sound obese, but surely I’m still on the fat side if measured by % of fat...

Fat acceptance movements can only work if we all universally acknowledge being fat is a problem. Fat shaming alone also won’t work because some folks could be shameless... or be in the other extreme and become so shameful to the point finding killing of self to be easier than losing the weight...

There’s no easy solutions when it comes to saving humanity. It’s hard work and you might only end up saving a few...

10k steps a day worthless if you are pigging out at a buffet. Lift heavy weights or get fat.

BMI is a bullshit measurement system, I don't recommend it.

It's too basic, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    But there does seem to be evidence that your body has a "memory" and many people after weight loss find it hard to keep it off, somewhere between old bad habits and the body wanting more food till its back to its old weight. That and it is hard to keep up a "diet" rather than a lifestyle change.
    All of which still relates directly to willpower, discipline, and creating good habits with a lifestyle change, absolutely. But the actual change in body weight is directly related to caloric intake. Every other part of the equation is just HOW to do it in a way that is sustainable.

Quote Originally Posted by tigeraid View Post
    All of which still relates directly to willpower, discipline, and creating good habits with a lifestyle change, absolutely. But the actual change in body weight is directly related to caloric intake. Every other part of the equation is just HOW to do it in a way that is sustainable.
    Its an equation...
    but it is interesting how cravings and feelings of hunger change. Yes that then becomes willpower and good choices, but it can be easier for some than others. And that "weight memory" does seem to be a thing.

Ive put on a bit in the last year, but still down 70lbs on what I was when I stopped working fulltime.